[News] American Museum Chooses Open-source Storage, Sun Brags About Openness

Chicago museum turns to open-source storage

,----[ Quote ]
| Chicago's Museum of Broadcast Communications (MBC) collects, preserves, and
| presents historic and contemporary radio and television content with the
| purpose of educating, informing, and entertaining the public through its
| archives, public programs, screenings, exhibits, publications and online
| access to its resources.
|
| MBC also runs Museum.tv--which stores and delivers terabytes of digitized
| radio and television content. Currently, they are featuring a 1984 senatorial
| debate including Roland Burris--whom you may recognize as the senator just
| appointed to fill Barack Obama's vacancy (check out the protests at the start
| of the debate and how the moderator handles it).
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13846_3-10148716-62.html

Global economic pinch has a bright side, says Sun boss

,----[ Quote ]
| If it's good enough for Facebook and it's good enough for Google, maybe it's
| good enough for the corporates. Of the MIS Top 100 in Australia [the 100
| organisations spending the most on IT], 18 have stated they're using MySQL.
| They don't need to sign up for support with Sun, but we're finding
| increasingly they are. We see that transition being quite exciting.
`----

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=10552945

Sun Microsystems sets new Singapore record

,----[ Quote ]
| Sun Tech Days is part of Sun Microsystems' commitment to foster open source
| technology, which they say 'enables developer communities to collaborate and
| innovate without barriers, and for enterprises to reduce costs'.
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2009/012109-sun-microsystems-sets-new-singapore.html

Recent:

Can Sun Rise on Open Source Storage?

,----[ Quote ]
| At first glance, Sun Microsystems (NASDAQ: JAVA) appears to be having a bit
| of trouble: Big layoffs, a stock that is down 80 percent in the last year,
| and constant rumors about its demise or takeover. A brief look at the overall
| server and storage stats from IDC and Gartner doesn't provide much evidence
| to the contrary, with Sun nowhere in the overall storage stats, and lagging
| further behind Dell (NASDAQ: DELL) in fourth place on the server side.
`----

http://www.enterprisestorageforum.com/industrynews/article.php/3796276

Sun Expands 'Open' Storage Line

,----[ Quote ]