[News] Opening for Free Software in New US Presidency

President Obama: Good for Open Source?

,----[ Quote ]
| That’s not to say that applying open source and open standards to the
| healthcare industry is impossible and isn’t already gaining traction in some
| areas. For example, the Veterans Administration clinical information system
| software (VistA) is open source and, by all accounts, an incredible
| success: “VistA saves lives and money.”
`----

http://www.linux-mag.com/id/7232

Recent:

Gmail Fills the Bill for Obama Staff

,----[ Quote ]
| E-mail is near and dear to Barack Obama (thus his reliance on his
| Blackberry). But when Obama's incoming staff members first enter the White
| House on Inauguration Day, they won't yet have access to the traditional
| White House e-mail system. According to The New York Times' Adam Nagourney,
| being out of the loop for even a few hours is just not acceptable for the
| tech-savvy Obama crowd. So the administration has turned to Google. No, it
| didn't tap Google's Eric Schmidt to fix the problem. Instead, it issued its
| staffers Google Gmail accounts to bridge the gap.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/158081/gmail_obama_staff.html?tk=rss_news

Calls for open source government

,----[ Quote ]
| The secret to a more secure and cost effective government is through open
| source technologies and products.
|
| The claim comes from one of Silicon Valley's most respected business leaders
| Scott McNealy, a co-founder of Sun Microsystems.
|
| He revealed he has been asked to prepare a paper on the subject for the new
| administration.

Washington DC latest to drop Microsoft for web apps

,----[ Quote ]
| Washington D.C. has joined 500,000+ businesses and organizations in moving
| its communication and productivity tools into the cloud. Vivek Kundra, CTO
| for the District, signed an agreement with Google to migrate the
| organization's 38,000 employees to Google Apps, the search giant's web-based
| offering of communication and productivity tools. Washington D.C. is a
| not-insignificant win for Google, and yet another blow to Microsoft's
| incumbent Office suite, as a surge of web apps steadily replaces their
| desktop counterparts.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20081012-washington-dc-latest-to-drop-microsoft-for-web-apps.html

CEO's Diary: Linux?