[News] Linux a Model Example for New Research

What links Open Source and literature?

,----[ Quote ]
| The frequency of words in texts, the size of companies and the linking
| together of components in Linux software distributions show approximately the
| same mathematical distribution: they obey Zipf’s law. ETH Zurich researchers
| tested how this happens in Linux programs.
`----

http://www.ethlife.ethz.ch/archive_articles/090121_Zipf_nsn/index_EN

Related:

Open Source Textbooks Challenge a Paradigm

,----[ Quote ]
| A small, digital book startup thinks it has a solution to the age-old student
| lament: overpriced textbooks that have little value when the course is over.
| The answer? Make them open source -- and give them away.
|
| Flat World Knowledge is the brainchild of two former textbook industry
| executives who learned from the inside about the wacky economy of textbooks.
`----

http://blog.wired.com/business/2008/09/open-source-tex.html

The World Wide Textbook

,----[ Quote ]
| A new project aims to develop low-cost, open-source textbooks for use
| in the developing world
|
| [...]
|
| Each of the proposed open-source books has an editor-in-chief
| responsible for putting together a chapter outline and rough
| description, and ensuring that the text comes together in a
| cohesive manner.
`----

http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/content/dec2006/bs20061211_681192.htm

Open Shakespeare aims to free the Bard