[News] F/OSS-Based Telephony Gains Acceptance in Companies

Open-Source Mobile Telephony Goes Legit

,----[ Quote ]
| While big business may be crowning open source as the king of server-based
| computing, most enterprise movers and shakers vehemently deny any such moves
| in telephony. Yet, open source in telecom is long past its debut and is, in
| fact, already in play in much of the Fortune 500. So why is open source a
| legitimate option in enterprise computing but bastardized so much in
| telephony?
`----

http://www.cio.com/article/477349/Open_Source_Mobile_Telephony_Goes_Legit

Recent:

MIT students demonstrate their Android applications

,----[ Quote ]
| This just in; kids that go to MIT are really F-ing smart. I just saw seven
| Android applications that have been developed over the short span of four
| months — with very little (if any) money — as part of a class
| called “Building Mobile Applications with Android”. It was a lot like most
| college presentations, except that HTC, Google, Verizon, Sprint, and the
| press don’t usually show up.
|
| Hit the jump for a peek at the applications.
`----

http://www.crunchgear.com/2008/05/09/mit-students-demonstrate-their-android-applications/

T-Mobile and Google cozy up with Android

,----[ Quote ]
| As for other carriers in the United States, Sprint joined the Open Handset
| Alliance from the outset and is a founding member. Verizon's CEO has been
| quoted as saying, "We're planning on using Android." Meanwhile, AT&T's CEO
| is "encouraged by the idea that an Android phone could host AT&T branded
| apps." That said, Verizon and AT&T have yet to make anything official,
| although nothing is stopping them from releasing Android-powered handsets in
| the future.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/journals/linux.ars/2008/04/26/t-mobile-and-google-cozy-up-with-android

Digium Announces Sharp Rise in Asterisk Downloads in 2008

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20081217005098&newsLang=en