[News] Darwinism Meets GNU/Linux

Darwin at 200 and Linux at 20

,----[ Quote ]
| It is in fact an homage to Darwin on his forthcoming 200th anniversary of the
| publication of The Origin of Species comes in a week where for the first time
| it is shown conclusively that a group of Dung Beetles have switched from a
| dung to a millipede diet, heradling a start of a new species.
|
| And so, with dung and new species in mind, we look to the future when Windows
| 7 is released and Linux will be 20.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=1773&blogid=17

Don't Fear the Penguin: A Newbie's Guide to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Getting started with Linux can be an intimidating task, particularly for
| people who have never tried any operating system besides Windows. In truth,
| however, very little about Linux is actually difficult to use. It's simply a
| different OS, with its own approach to doing things. Once you learn your way
| around a Linux desktop, you're likely to find that it's no more challenging
| to work with than Windows or Mac OS.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/158059/dont_fear_the_penguin_a_newbies_guide_to_linux.html

Recent:

Darwinian or Marxist?

,----[ Quote ]
| If the person posing the question happens to get smarter and asks
| specifically about software and music piracy, Stallman gave an even better
| answer: “Pirates never attack ships with software and music, they do it with
| guns.”
|
| In Stallman’s opinion, piracy is one of the terms invented as a means of
| attacking freedom and “social solidarity”  of a community that needs to be
| rejected. “Breaking any agreement isn’t the right thing to do, but if a
| software vendor compares your urge to share things you like with your friends
| with attacking a ship, the idea deserves to be denounced,” Stallman declared
| during his public speech, to the applause of the crowd.
|
| Without doubt, the idea of ‘free’ software is to think about software
| development/distribution from the user’s point of view. The freedoms to run,
| to study the source code, to modify and to share and distribute the copies
| with others would make sense to a user. But to what extent such things can be
| demanded in an era of branding and ‘big money’ technology is a question that
| still lingers after all the convincing arguments.
|
| For a fact, Stallman himself doesn’t oppose the idea of doing business by
| selling software, but he wants those developing/selling software products to
| follow the ‘freedoms’ stringently. Perhaps his contention that people are so
| occupied to buy something that can run on their machines that they forget
| their rights, could be valid.
`----

http://www.deccanherald.com/Content/Dec172008/cyberspace20081216107137.asp

Linux fights Creationism in UK schools

,----[ Quote ]
| I do love Linux, it's so..., well..., so not-boring. The laptop I am writing
| on is using Fedora 9 and KDE 4, my big laptop is using Ubuntu's Hardy Heron
| with all the 3D twirly bits on a Gnome desktop, my Asus EeePC sometimes uses
| Xandros' Easy interface and sometimes good old Puppy Linux (soooo fast) and
| I'm not sure what my Elonex One is running. I nearly forgot, my Mac-book,
| it's running an OS named after a large cat.
|
| To cap it all, this month's Linux mag shows yet another small laptop, this
| one from Gdium is booting Mandriva Linux from a USB-stick and so doesn't even
| have an OS installed, embedded or otherwise: I need one of these sticks.
|
| You will soon get where this is headed. I love this rapid spurt in PC
| evolution, but to a school or any big institution such diversification looks
| like the Tower of Babel; they'll not be happy.
|
| Creationist vs. Evolutionists
|
| I would posit, with some 30 years experience as a school teacher, that
| schools are by and large 'ICT Creationists' by disposition. 'ICT
| Evolutionism' with its fits and starts and sheer pointlessness is unlikely to
| have any real appeal.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=1215

Related:

The Software God Delusion

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source isn’t religion; it’s an evolution of the software industry.
`----

http://www.businessreviewonline.com/os/archives/2007/06/the_software_go.html

Software Science vs Software Evolution, or Software Science and Software
Evolution?

,----[ Quote ]
| And yet the unanticipated success of high profile technologies like Linux,
| Apache, MySQL, PHP, and even Rails suggest that complementing software
| science with software evolution is likely to yield even more impressive
| results. By all means, employ science to focus and hone your investments when
| necessary, but don’t forget that evolution is where true innovation comes
| from.
`----

http://redmonk.com/sogrady/2007/12/11/software_evolution/

Have we raised a generation of technology drones?

,----[ Quote ]
| I have been in the IT field long enough to remember when we didn't
| live in a Microsoft centric world. Several office applications from
| different vendors existed: Wordstar, Ami Pro/Word Pro, WordPerfect,
| Word, etc. Everyone had their preferences, based on needs, personal
| preferences, support and sometimes just on having learned a particular
| application first. Microsoft's domination in the office and now
| educational desktop seems to have led to a generation of technology
| drones. How can competition exist when anything not produced by Microsoft
| is considered to be a lesser product?
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/blogs/have_we_raised_a_generation_of_technology_drones

Kernel Evolution

,----[ Quote ]
| "To quote you a number of years ago: 'Linux is evolution, not intelligent
| design'," noted Greg KH, quoting Linux creator Linus Torvalds. Linus expanded
| on the statement, "evolution often does odd (and 'suboptimal') things exactly
| because it does incremental changes that DO NOT BREAK at any point." He
| continued, "in other words, exactly because evolution
| requires 'bisectability' (any non-viable point in between is a dead end by
| definition) and does things incrementally, it doesn't do big flips."
`----

http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/Kernel_Evolution

(Linux perspective:) Apple embeds Mac OS X in phone, set-top box

,----[ Quote ]