[News] New Business Cases for GNU/Linux and Free Software

Firm finds gain after open-source shift pain

,----[ Quote ]
| It's nice to read what open-source vendors think of open source: it's easy,
| cheap, and quite possibly the cure for cancer. (That last one is my personal
| hope.)
|
| However, it's much more useful to get real customer feedback on open source.
| That's what makes Mercian Labels' shift to open source--with all the benefits
| and negatives that come with such a move--so intriguing. It's especially
| useful data, since the company meticulously tracked the highs and lows of its
| shift to open source on its blog, as its managing director, Adrian Steele,
| told me over e-mail.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10146824-16.html

Linux can save your business.

,----[ Quote ]
| So just by using Linux you are free of the pressure of auditors and software
| giants breathing down your neck. Your business is coasting through stormy
| financial waters and you are sipping martinis on your yacht as you peruse a
| catalog of furniture for your new ho
`----

http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/locutus/linux-can-save-your-business-29429

The Case for Open Source Development, a Personal Case Study

,----[ Quote ]
| A couple of days ago I happened to meet my old friend Idel Fuschini on the
| street, and we have been talking about things happened ten years ago or
| longer when working in the mobile VAS sector, when WAP was still to come.
`----

http://robertogaloppini.net/2009/01/20/the-case-for-open-source-development-a-personal-case-study/

Nokia using Drupal

http://buytaert.net/nokia-using-drupal

Recent:

Commercial Open Source: Commercial and Open Source are still not antonyms

,----[ Quote ]
| Over the last few days I have just been reading my news alerts on commercial
| open source and I found out that someone still thinks it sounds like a
| contradiction in terms, others question about how open is commercial open
| source, while there is who argues that OSS vendors have to sell products, not
| subscriptions.
`----

http://robertogaloppini.net/2008/01/08/commercial-open-source-commercial-and-open-source-are-still-not-antonyms/

Cavazos Presentation on Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| Training teachers and students to use a piece of software makes
| that software more valuable. Vendors know this. Business sense,
| not altruism, is what drives deep discounts on software for
| education. I once spoke to a vendor of an online grade book
| who, upon learning that I train teachers, was very interested
| in my using it in my classes.
`----

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/57760.html

Related:

Kamloops school district gets an education in free software

,----[ Quote ]
| The Kamloops/Thompson School District in British Columbia, Canada, is a
| free software success story. Gregg Ferrie, manager of information
| technology for the district, believes its infrastructure may be "the
| largest Linux on-the-desktop implementation in Western Canada" in
| public education.

Adobe targets school kids to get them hooked on software

,----[ Quote ]