Re: [News] 'Bandwidth Monopoly' Under Attack, Wants to Be Free/Open

Verily I say unto thee, that Mark Kent spake thusly:
>> ____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 20 January 2009 10:55 : \____

>>> Indeed, but not for what they use - high users generally get an
>>> excellent deal on the back of low users.
>>>
>>> Is this fair?
>>
>> Tariffs for levels of use would be fair; net neutrality violations
>> (throttling), however, would not.
>
> I agree.  The temptation to do "deep packet inspection" is very
> strong, to a great extent, because there are companies making and
> marketing such boxes, and it's perceived to be simpler and much less
> expensive by many to insert such boxes into the network streams,
> rather than use them to count packets and create a more complex bill.

Is it really that complicated for ISPs to calculate bandwidth usage?

Ever since I first started using ADSL services, I've had the means of
viewing my own bandwidth usage, usually broken down into upstream;
downstream; peak and offpeak stats. If that data is available for me to
view, then surely that same data can be used by the ISP's billing dept.

> A few other issues brew up with usage level tariffs, too, though, not
> the least of which is what do you do when someone suddenly ups their
> usage?  Did they mean to?

Well you could say the same thing about gas, electricity and phone
bills. You use it, you pay for it.

> Billing is not a simple world.

It'd be a lot simpler if ISP's stopped oversubscribing their services.

I'd don't want to "leech" off low-level users, any more than I want to
be capped or throttled (or deep-packet-inspected, for that matter). I
just want to pay for what I use, and /only/ what I use, much like I do
with any other utility. That seems like a perfectly reasonable and fair
expectation to me.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It
|  is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." ~ William
|  Pitt the Younger

 20:54:57 up 77 days,  4:37,  5 users,  load average: 0.02, 0.03, 0.00