Re: [News] GNU/Linux Can Protect from Suppressive Regimes

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

Warrantless Intrusion: yet another reason for Using GNU/Linux (but it may not
be enough)

,----[ Quote ]
| All manner of campaigns have been tried to persuade Windows users to make the | switch to GNU/Linux and every year is heralded as the year of GNU/Linux on | the desktop. Whether these things come to pass or not only time will tell, | but the latest electronic assault on the integrity of computers which | emanates from the British Government via a European directive might just tilt | the balance in favour of free and open software. I suspect however that the | hard-core Redmondnites will blunder on as usual making the internet a gold | mine for any individual, corporation or government maliciously inclined to | steal or plant information your computer. So, what exactly is warrantless | intrusion? | | [...] | | I’m not a technical expert but it seems to me that the only theoretical way | to defeat the government’s insatiable lust for information, power and control | is to create an open source ISP funded by its members like some kind of | modern Friendly Society which would be founded on democratic principles and | funded by the members. It seems impossible but the Wikipedia project ought | not to exist either — but it does. The other long shot is to pray for the | sudden emergence of a technological singularity which moves so impossibly | fast that governments cannot keep pace with counter measures. Failing that we | all become Luddites and forswear computers and the internet entirely.

Homer

| The | withdrawal symptoms would be horrendous. So, the technical hand, having | written, cannot unwrite a single word. There is no going back. Uninventing | technology is the stuff of dystopian fantasies. `----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/columns/warrantless_intrusion_yet_another_reason_using_gnu_linux_it_may_not_be_enough

The EFF has just loudly protested. This is becoming a serious issue because
activists have their PCs confiscated.