[News] [Rival] IDG Review: BetaVista7 Sucks!

Diving Headfirst into Windows Beta 7

,----[ Quote ]
| I take the Windows 7 Beta plunge and find the waters a bit choppy.
|
| [...]
|
| Daemon Tools? Won't even install.
|
| Virtual Clone Drive? Buggy and unstable (check their forums).
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/157041/windows_7_beta.html?tk=rss_news

I heard from other people today:

<PetoKraus> so windows 7b
<PetoKraus> oh well oh well!
<PetoKraus> it was so boring, that two of my colleagues left
<PetoKraus> though driver compatibility - pfft! wireless - no chance.
Graphics - no chance. Audio - no chance. Lan - took three restarts to get
static IP working.

Recent:

Microsoft's Windows 7 Vista replacement plan

,----[ Quote ]
| No, if Microsoft really wants to make its customers happy, they should do
| what my friend Jason Perlow suggests, "since Windows 7 is essentially a
| performance and usability fix for a defective product, I'm of the increasing
| opinion that a Windows 7 upgrade should be free to anyone who was conned into
| buying Windows Vista."
|
| You know, he has a good point. While I personally think you'd be a lot better
| off with buying a new Mac or moving over to Fedora, openSUSE or Ubuntu, if
| you still want to stick with Windows even after suffering with Vista,
| Microsoft should give you a copy of Windows 7 for free. After all, haven't
| you suffered enough?
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/Microsofts_Windows_7_Vista_replacement_plan

The sound of empire falling

,----[ Quote ]
| There’s another problem. Vista is so dead that Microsoft is already touting
| its successor “System 7". Not end-of-lifing XP on schedule means they’ll
| actually have to support three different operating systems for at least the
| years until System 7 ships, and some time afterward. Even Microsoft is going
| to feel the strain, and ISVs are likely to play safe by writing to the
| minimum (XP) specification.
`----

http://esr.ibiblio.org/?p=647

Deja Vista?

,----[ Quote ]
| Yet when InfoWorld gave Windows 7 a through benchmarking and shakedown, the
| result was the same ill foreboding that accompanied pre-release Vista (and
| proved all too accurate).
`----

http://www.microsplot.com/blog/2008/11/deja_vista

Windows 7 doomed by economic outlook

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft CEO, the shy and retiring, softly spoken Steve Ballmer admitted
| that this was happening and seems to be slowly walking away from Vista.
|
| [...]
|
| It could be that this will be the moment for Linux to make its long awaited
| rise to fame. If firms want to cut costs but upgrade hardware then Linux
| ideas are probably the only way to go forward. Indeed some companies will be
| able to keep their older hardware for a bit longer.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/11/20/windows-doomed-economic-outlook

Windows 7’s biggest threat: journalists

,----[ Quote ]
| ZDNET.MICROSOFT.COM, Blogosphere.NET, Wednesday (NNGadget) — As Microsoft
| continues to prepare for the 2009 2010 launch of Windows 7, it today issued a
| plea through its network of objective opinion-shapers: Don’t let the
| journalists near it.
|
| Microsoft MSDN software disk scarecrow in cornfield“We understand that many
| journalists use Macs,” said CNet marketing marketer Don Reisinger. “This
| means they necessarily suckle at the Satanic rear passage of Steve Jobs. We
| cannot countenance their bias. Journalists are responsible for all those
| signs outside computer shops offering to replace Vista with XP. When was the
| last time you saw the entire technology field stop and wait for an
| announcement from any other company besides Apple? It’s so unfair!”
`----

http://notnews.today.com/2008/11/12/windows-7s-biggest-threat-journalists/

Windows 7 Unmasked

,----[ Quote ]