Is Boycott Novell full of shills?

  • Subject: Is Boycott Novell full of shills?
  • From: John <squatters.rights@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 17:50:35 -0500
  • Cancel-lock: sha1:ZVRnvcK6akSiM61Di0P7EMItsaA=
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Sender: John <>

It appears that Boycott Novell is just teaming with Schestowitz sock
puppets these days.

These same socks are also infesting Slashdot and other forums, including
this one, to shill for Roy Schestowitz.

Here is a little about a person who calls himself Twitter:

http://slashdot.org/~SockDisclosure/journal/214377

"<twitter> I'm back.
<twitter> Want to see a nice piece of net stalking?
<schestowitz> Yes, definitely. I want o document such phenomena too.
<twitter> This one is personal and not one I'd like to call attention to.
<twitter> my trolls on Slashdot like to out me as BRLUG member Will Hill.
That's not something I will confirm or deny.
<twitter> They also identify my accounts on the first few posts. They got
my GNUChop today and replied to it by cut and pasting a brlug comment.
<twitter> compare
http://mail.brlug.net/pipermail/general_brlug.net/2008-August/018582.html
<twitter> to http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=647417&cid=24621437
<twitter> Nasty, isn't it?
<twitter> If what they say is true they can only know it by monitoring all
of my traffic."

"And notice how Roy Schestowitz is fully aware of these socks:

" <twitter> After some thought, I've decided to keep using multiple
accounts on Slashdot. Trolls have gamed the system to strip me of my rights
and disrupt conversation. I will use the tools I have available to keep my
rights and continue to share.
<twitter> Let's not talk about that any more, it is a waste of time.
<twitter> It is better to talk about how evil it is to cooperate with M$.
<schestowitz> twitter: you make the /. zoo more of a zoo.
<schestowitz> You put a show on both sides and make it a mockery of the
site.
<twitter> You are going in circles.
<twitter> Others made a mockery of the site when they censored me."

There is also another shill in COLA and on Boycott Novell who has went
through a lot of trouble to seed the various groups, like Ubuntu and
Mandriva etc with "sucess stories" only to magically "find" them all a
month or so later.

His major mistake was certain odd spellings and the fact that these tales
all read the same.

Boycott Novell Den of Paranoia?

http://www.linux.com/feature/151215

" Describing himself as "an avid SUSE user for years," Schestowitz says he
and Coyle are two of the community developers "hurt" by the deal. At first,
Schestowitz says, he argued his view of the deal in openSUSE mailing lists,
but finding his perspective was not being accepted, "I decided to share my
understanding of the deal and shed light on the things which the press
simply ignored." With this decision, Boycott Novell soon skyrocketed in
popularity, and began its evolution into the center of controversy that it
has become today."

"A typical unqualified supporter is Keith G. Robertson-Turner, who uses the
nickname Homer. "The problem is Microsoft," Robertson-Turner says bluntly.
He admits that Boycott Novell "tends to polarise the issue, as do I," but
immediately adds, "I make no apologies for that, since as far as I am
concerned, one is either part of the problem or part of the solution."

As far as Robertson-Turner is concerned, Microsoft is "a vicious
corporation with zero moral standards." Similarly, Novell has "betrayed its
own community," especially in the introduction of what he terms
"poisonware" such as Mono and Moonlight -- software that might in the
future become the basis for patent attacks on free software by Microsoft."

" Still, criticism does appear occasionally. Last summer, a blog post
appeared entitled "Boycott Novell: Defenders of Freedom or Offenders of
Freedom." According to the post, Boycott Novell:

    has misled hundreds of thousands of Free Software advocates, and it
constantly works on staining the reputations of companies that have done
nothing wrong. What's worse, they often have little proof of anything. Ever
read a Boycott Novell article? Funny how they cite themselves 10 or more
times in every article, rather than actually pointing to any relevant news.
"

Gee, Roy Schestowitz citing Roy Schestowitz for "proof". Who would have
guessed!

" To Jeff Waugh of the GNOME Foundation, who last year clashed with
Schestowitz over GNOME's involvement in the writing of OOXML specification,
the attack on O'Grady and RedMonk was an example of the problem presented
by Boycott Novell. Describing O'Grady as "one of those people behind the
scenes who has connected a lot of dots and done a lot of really good things
for the free software world," he suggests that the fact that Schestowitz
would attack O'Grady "clearly shows that he has no idea of what's going on
in the industry and who the real players are. Roy likes connecting dots
that don't even make sense.""

Jeff is referring to Roy Schestowitz's Podcast where Schestowitz made a
complete ass of himself.

Make sure to read the comments:

"Everybody: Lay off Roy. Yes, I know he's annoying and I know he spams his
own website into FSDaily, but he's obviously got some sort of social mental
illness like autism.

A real quote from him on IRC, posted on his own website's IRC transcripts:
"<@schestowitz> Vista is not secure. Itʼs a Big Lie. It was proven by
scientists."

He also has the knack of taking quote entirely out of context; the other
day he posted one that claimed that Microsoft said Android was easier to
work with because it was open-source. If you copied and pasted the
referenced URL into your web browser (note: it wasn't a hyperlink), it was
actually the journalist saying that it would be easier to port Silverlight
to an open platform rather than the iPhone which doesn't allow Safari
plugins.

This sort of thing happens EVERY DAY on BoycottNovell.com. If you see a BN
article using the phrases "Patent Troll", "Illegal Monopoly", "ISO OOXML
Shame", etc, then you know the article will take all sorts of quotes out of
context, reference random people on IRC as credible sources, and complain
whenever Microsoft uses marketing tactics that every other product supplier
uses. (BN complained recently about Microsoft providing cashbacks for
buying laptops with its products preloaded, but no such complaint against
Electrolux Home Products for giving cashbacks on its washing machines).

The "credibility index" screams McCarthyism, but I imagine Roy hasn't
reached a high enough mental age to learn about the Communist witch-hunts
in America. However, the credibility index is itself only credible if
people believe it to be. Eventually, everybody's points of view will differ
in some way or another from Roy's, and he'll lower their score in the CI.
Eventually he'll piss off everybody, and Roy will find some other online
community to join.

I knew an autistic man who was exactly like Roy - posted all these
"authoritative" reports as though he had some inside information; never
quoted his sources, took real facts out of context and put them into his
stories, and the first couple of times you read his stories you'd believe
that he was onto something. Then eventually you realised that he really was
sick and that nothing he wrote was actually true. Everybody I know stopped
listening to him and he left to bother a different audience, one who might
be more receptive. I believe he's now trying to start an Autism Pride Day
for autistic people to be proud that they have the illness.

If everybody stops listening to the Roy Schestowitz's of the world,
eventually I'm sure they'll seek help for their illness. "

Boycottnovell.com is the ultimate mating field for shills.