[News] Why the Business Model of Giving Away is Viable

Sita’s Distribution Plan

,----[ Quote ]
| “But Nina, how will you make money?” The way artists always make money:
| donations, commissions, grants, patrons, speaking fees. Indie distributors
| can’t pay anywhere near what it cost me to make the film ($80,000 + $50,000
| to clear rights + $160,000 living expenses over the years I made the film +
| my TIME) but they do lock up the rights for 10+ years. In the Digital Age,
| distributors function primarily as a barrier between artists and audiences,
| prohibiting access rather than facilitating it.
`----

http://blog.ninapaley.com/2008/12/28/sitas-distribution-plan/

Recent:

Creative Commons flourishing despite rough economy

,----[ Quote ]
| Creative Commons, one of the most prominent organizations
| involved in the free culture movement, brought in big bucks
| through its latest fundraising campaign. The organization
| met its lofty $500,000 goal despite the current economic
| downturn.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20081231-creative-commons-flourishing-despite-rough-economy.html
http://tinyurl.com/7yzl6b

The Stick Your Head In The Sand Approach To Saving The Newspaper
Business

,----[ Quote ]
| Over the past few years, as the newspaper business got in
| deeper and deeper trouble, we seemed to increasingly hear
| some particularly clueless suggestions on how newspapers
| should save themselves -- almost always revolving around
| some sort of backwards effort to put the genie back in the
| bottle, such as by all banding together, violating all
| sorts of anti-trust rules and colluding to charge for
| content.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20081230/0329433249.shtml

Ubuntu community head tests music economics with open content

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080624-ubuntu-community-head-tests-music-economics-with-open-content.html

Creative Collaboration: The Open Source Filmmaking Experiment