[News] Why the GPL is the Key to Free Software Success

The Key

,----[ Quote ]
| I think writing BSD licensed code means helping the greedy business to
| establish the control over us. Don’ do that, if you love your freedom. I Love
| the Hacker’s ideals and from experience I can say that Hackers can become
| great politicians, and great Leaders who can turn the direction from where
| human lives are heading today to a better and prosperous future where the
| government will support people to help themselves and then will get put of
| their way to let them grow. Its the Free Society, where anyone can assume his
| responsibility for his countrymen then he will lead, GPL is the key in doing
| that, if you loose it, you loose the quality. you loose the peace that a man
| wants in his entire life. Accept the truth and truth will set you free.
`----

http://lispmachine.wordpress.com/2009/01/13/the-key/

Recent:

Do we need GPLv3?

,----[ Quote ]
| Regardless of opinion on the merits of the new GPL, the fact is it's
| here--and likely here to stay.
|
| In essence, copyleft is a complete reversal of traditional copyright values
| where the law sees software as a literary work under the Copyright, Designs
| and Patents Act 1988.
|
| [...]
|

| The result is a new version of the license that is much clearer in its scope
| and application. It also takes greater account of software patents. To
| prevent software owners using patents to impose additional terms on users,
| the license includes the use of any patents owned by copyright holders that
| fall within the scope of the software. The termination provisions are also
| made clearer and are now automatic instead of requiring a notice from a
| copyright holder.
|
| [...]
|
| Conversion from GPL version 2 to version 3 is increasing as existing open
| source applications seek to benefit from the improved certainty afforded by
| the new terms. That's not to say that version 2 is unenforceable, it will
| continue to exist and be used by those who prefer it, but version 2 and
| version 3 are incompatible. Thus a decision needs to be made by those
| organizations 'going open' as to how they would prefer their software to be
| made available--and soon.
`----

http://www.zdnetasia.com/insight/software/0,39044822,62047569,00.htm

GPLv3/AGPLv3 Adoption: If It Happened Too Fast, I'd Be Worried

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.softwarefreedom.org/blog/2008/nov/13/gplv3-agplv3-adoption/