[News] FreeSWITCH Gets Really Good, Dana Blankenhorn Provokes with More FUD

FreeSWITCH 1.0.2 with New Codecs and Fax for VoIP

,----[ Quote ]
| Free VoIP platform software FreeSWITCH is now in version 1.0.2. Enhancements
| include a fax module and new codecs for higher sampling rates.
|
| Thanks to a cooperative effort with Polycom, FreeSWITCH can use Polycom's
| Siren codecs for wideband and super-wideband audio. The software also adds a
| free open source codec using Constrained Energy Lapped Transform (CELT)
| technology that should provide sample rates of 44.1 to 48 KHz with minimal
| latency, especially suited for speech and music.
`----

http://www.linux-magazine.com/online/news/freeswitch_1_0_2_with_new_codecs_and_fax_for_voip

Open Source as a “Last Resort”?

,----[ Quote ]
| Please note the assertion - as I read it - is not the failure of a company
| that started off being based on Open Source; but rather the assertion is that
| failing companies adopt some sort of Open Source-based strategy to no avail.
|
| I’m honestly not sure what to make of Mr. Blankenhorn’s thoughts here, so I’m
| just looking for some facts to support — or refute — his assertion.
`----

http://meandubuntu.wordpress.com/2009/01/10/open-source-as-a-last-resort/

Recent:

Can open source save Yahoo?

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft’s embrace of Yahoo was based on the idea that its own customers’
| loyalty — and it does have loyal customers — along with its financial heft,
| might maintain the site’s market share.
|
| But that chance, too, is now gone.
|
| So what’s left. Perhaps, despite Jeremy Zawodny’s landing at Craigslist, open
| source is left.
|
| By building a cloud business on open source projects like Hadoop, YUI, Grids,
| and Squid, perhaps Yahoo can reinvent itself.
|
| Amazon did. Why can’t Yahoo?
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2577

Shuttleworth grasps open source political message

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1287