[News] Another Full Departure from Windows, Because of GNU/Linux

Giving up on Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Despite the fact that I've been running, on and off, Linux on the desktop for
| the last fifteen years or so, my primary work machine at Podomatic ran
| Windows XP.
|
| It made me feel a bit like a traitor, honestly. I owe my career and a large
| part of my outlook on the world to Linux, GNU, and the free (as in speech)
| community. All that aside, I couldn't justify the time it would take to
| install Linux on my (pre-installed with Windows) PC and then get everything
| working to my expectations.
|
| [...]
|
| A few minutes later, I whipped out my trusty Gentoo 2008.0 amd64 CD (left
| over from some server installs) and converted the machine to Gentoo Linux.
| This would be about my 20th time installing Gentoo, so it went smoothly. 100%
| of my hardware works perfectly, and I was running Firefox in wm2
| (provisionally until kde compiled) by 3. I'm not looking back. TTYN, Windows!
`----

http://errorval.livejournal.com/38716.html

10 Questions about linux asked by windows users.

,----[ Quote ]
| 1) What is linux ?
|
| My Answer : Linux is an Open Source operating system, a large piece of
| software that manages a computer.The accurate name is GNU/Linux but “Linux”
| is used more often.
`----

http://www.bablotech.com/2009/01/09/10-questions-about-linux-asked-by-windows-users/

Recent:

Russia and Cuba Unite Against Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Recently, Russia announced that it was pushing Microsoft out of its schools
| in favour of open source. Now, it's going even further by joining with Cuba
| to write free software that can be used instead of Microsoft's products in
| other areas...
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2008/11/russia-and-cuba-unite-against-microsoft.html

All Russian Schools to Use Free Software

,----[ Quote ]
| I've often lamented how few schools in the UK use free software, and how
| difficult it is to break the lock that Microsoft has on the entire
| educational system. The pathetic state here is highlighted by contrast with
| Russia, which is making amazing strides in rolling out open source to
| schools.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=1423&blogid=14

Russia's Open Source Revolution

,----[ Quote ]
| From what I have seen and experienced of ALT Linux, it appears to be a first
| class platform on which to build a strong, flexible network of Linux-driven
| computers.
|
| I shall be watching the Russian schools experiment, and ALT Linux in
| particular, very closely in the future. I suggest that if you have an
| interest in the future of Linux/Free Open Source software, you might like to
| as well.
`----

http://reddevil62-techhead.blogspot.com/2008/10/russias-open-source-revolution.html

Moscow regional government to migrate to Open Source desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| The Moscow regional administration will test usefulness of an Open Source
| desktop by migrating several hundreds of desktop PCs to Mandriva GNU/Linux
| and by installing OpenOffice on a thousand others.
`----

http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7635/469

Russians Say Nyet To Windows, But Da To Linux

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.bloggernews.net/115636