[News] Tungsten 3-D Work and More Free Software in 3-D

Tungsten Creates New VIA 3D Stack

,----[ Quote ]
| Thomas Hellström of Tungsten Graphics is preparing to release a new DRM
| module and Mesa 3D driver that supports some of VIA's older hardware -- and
| eventually their newest graphics processors.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Njk3NQ

FSF, SGI Cooperated to Resolve Licensing Issue in X.org, Mesa

,----[ Quote ]
| The FSF is obviously thrilled by the news. "We couldn't be happier with this
| decision, and we're very grateful to SGI for all their assistance," the FSF
| states, "The FSF is committed to ensuring that everyone's computing tasks can
| be done with free software and this SGI code plays an important role in
| scientific and design applications and in the latest desktop environments and
| games."
`----

http://www.osnews.com/story/20740/FSF_SGI_Cooperated_to_Resolve_Licensing_Issue_in_X_org_Mesa

Recent:

NVIDIA Delivers Beta OpenGL 3.0 Linux Driver

,----[ Quote ]
| The OpenGL 3.0 and GLSL 1.30 specification were released back in August
| during SIGGRAPH 2008. Just days later NVIDIA had delivered a beta driver for
| Windows that added OpenGL 3.0 functionality, but Linux, FreeBSD, and Solaris
| users were left in the dark. Two months later though NVIDIA has now published
| a beta Linux driver that implements most of the latest GL/GLSL specification.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=nvidia_linux_ogl3&num=1

SGI Further Opens Its OpenGL Contributions

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/sgi-further-opens-its-opengl-contributions,548151.shtml

SGI relicenses OpenGL: "A huge gift to the free software community"

,----[ Quote ]
| After nine months, an open secret can finally be acknowledged: The OpenGL
| code that is responsible for 3-D acceleration on GNU/Linux, which was
| released by SGI in 1999, has been running on licenses that were accepted by
| neither the Free Software Foundation (FSF) nor the Open Source Initiative.
| Today, however, the FSF has announced that the licenses in question, the SGI
| Free License B and the GLX Public License, have been rewritten after months
| of negotiation between the FSF and SGI. The problem is now resolved, and the
| result is a code contribution that the FSF ranks as one of the greatest given
| to the community by a proprietary company.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/148339

Thank you SGI, for freeing the GNU/Linux 3D desktop!

,----[ Quote ]
| In January of 2008, software code at the heart of GNU/Linux 3D applications
| was discovered to be non-free—a potential disaster for free software
| advocates hoping to see advanced graphical acceleration now common on modern
| operating systems.
`----

http://www.fsf.org/news/thank-you-sgi

Unigine Tropics Sets Linux OpenGL Precedence

,----[ Quote ]
| Unigine Tropics is set around a tropical environment (hence its name) and it
| runs through various scenes of an island during both the day and night. Some
| of its technical features though include a dynamic sky with light scattering,
| live water with a surf zone and caustics, special materials for vegetation,
| HDR rendering, parallel split shadow map for the sun, depth of field, and
| real-time ambient occlusion. Whether you are interested in benchmarking or
| not, this is one impressive graphics demo just to watch -- permitting your
| graphics card can handle it!
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=unigine_tropics&num=1

OpenGL 3.0 - A Big Step in the Right Direction

,----[ Quote ]
| GL 3.0 takes two important steps to moving open standard graphics forward in
| a major way. The first is to provide core and ARB extension access to the new
| and exciting capabilities of hardware. The second is to create a roadmap that
| allows developers to see what parts of core specifications will be going away
| in the future, also providing the OpenGL ARB with a way to introduce new
| features faster.
`----

http://fireuser.com/blog/opengl_30_a_big_step_in_the_right_direction/

OpenGL 3 Announced

,----[ Quote ]
| The OpenGL Architecture Review Board officially announced OpenGL 3 on August
| 8th 2007 at the Siggraph Birds of a Feather (BOF) in San Diego, CA.
|
| [...]
|
| OpenGL 3 is a true industry effort with broad support from all vendors in the
| ARB. The OpenGL 3 specification is on track to be finalized at the next
| face-to-face meeting of the OpenGL ARB, at the end of August.
`----

http://www.osnews.com/story.php/18446/OpenGL-3-Announced/

Related:

DirectX 10 vs OpenGL 2.1 Graphics

,----[ Quote ]
| Now check out OpenGL 2.1 vs. DirectX 10 / 9 graphics.
`----

http://www.winmatrix.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13647

OpenGL is far from dead

,----[ Quote ]
| Khronos took over the running of the OpenGL Architecture Review
| Board last Autumn and has managed to get chip-makers like Nvidia
| to open up DX10-esque hardware features in the OpenGL system.
| "The extension mechanism has also allowed manufacturers of high
| end cards to gracefully expose DirectX 10 features on Windows
| XP," Splash said.

Apple’s Leopard with DirectX-like OpenGL? More hints.

,----[ Quote ]
| This means that the main person behind the newest OpenGL - which will support
| all the new graphics technology available today - is employed by Apple.
`----

http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2007/07/18/apples-leopard-with-directx-like-opengl-more-hints/

Valve survey shows hundreds of thousands steamed up

,----[ Quote ]
| However, the survey also shows how far Microsoft et al have to go
| - currently, DX10-capable gamers (ie those with Vista and a DX10 card)
| make up 1.21% of the gaming population.
|         ^^^^^

DAAMIT! AMD's DX10 is not up to scratch

,----[ Quote ]
| The gap isn't much, but there's a good 10-15 per cent difference between
| the two cards, and this is rather disappointing for a card that has
| been repeatedly marketed as future proof.

Inside CNET Labs: Lamenting DirectX 10

,----[ Quote ]
| We compared the same title side by side on a system running DX10 on Vista to
| the same title on an identical system running DX9 on XP, and it's
| difficult--sometimes impossible--to detect significant differences in how the
| games look or perform.
`----

http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9750536-1.html

Adding DX10 has "done nothing"