[News] EMTEC Unveils Mandriva-powered Sub-notebook

EMTEC unveils new Gdium netbook

,----[ Quote ]
| It appears that EMTEC’s new Gdium netbook is ready for prime-time, or in this
| case, ready for display at CES.  We went hands-on with a non-functioning
| prototype of the Gdium last August at IFA 2008 and now have pictures and
| specs for what appears to be the final product.
`----

http://www.slashgear.com/emtec-unveils-new-gdium-netbook-0729143/

Recent:

Acer leads hot netbook market

,----[ Quote ]
| The netbook category grew at a quarter-to-quarter rate of more than 160
| percent in the third quarter, and Acer bypassed Asus as the top vendor, says
| a DisplaySearch study. Meanwhile, an ABI Research "Vendor Matrix" report
| finds Intel holding pole position among netbook processor vendors.
|
| [...]
|
| Third-quarter market share percentages for the netbook category are said to
| be:
|
|     * Acer – 38.3
|     * Asus -- 30.3
|     * HP -- 5.8

EMTEC bringing 10-inch Gdium netbook to America for $400

,----[ Quote ]
| The Linux-based machine will come loaded with loads of open
| source software as well as a G-Key, which is described
| as "a bootable USB key on which the Linux operating system,
| applications, and personal data are stored." Expect it to
| ship in white, black and pink sometime between January and
| the end of time for $400.
`----

http://www.engadget.com/2008/12/30/emtec-bringing-10-inch-gdium-netbook-to-america-for-400/

Netbook world summit

,----[ Quote ]
| On December 1st, the first international conference dedicated to the Netbook
| market will be held in Paris at the Maison de la Chimie. The conference,
| organized by Mandriva, takes place within the scope of the Open World Forum.
`----

http://blog.mandriva.com/2008/11/28/netbook-world-summit/

Mandriva Linux 2009 'optimised' for mini laptops

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux publisher Mandriva has released its latest distribution, Mandriva Linux
| 2009, offering a faster boot time and up-to-date versions of tools such as
| KDE, Gnome, OpenOffice and Firefox, plus an installer that optimises the
| platform for mini-laptops.
`----

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2227937/mandriva-optimises-linux-mini

Mandriva unveils Linux for netbooks

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux publisher Mandriva has unveiled a version of its platform designed
| specifically for the new breed of mini laptops.
|
| Mandriva Mini is aimed primarily at vendors of so-called 'netbooks', and is
| customised for this category of small form factor device, Mandriva said.
`----

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2226511/mandriva-unveils-linux-netbooks

Mandriva leaps into the netbook market with the GDium

,----[ Quote ]
| Lately it's hard to avoid the buzz about netbooks - the small, cheap laptop
| systems that were popularized by the Asus Eee PC (which, of course, Mandriva
| Linux 2008 Spring supports very well). Many in the community have asked if
| Mandriva is going to get directly involved in this market. Well, the answer
| is yes! Mandriva is providing the innovative operating system for the
| upcoming GDium netbook system, produced by Emtec.
`----

http://club.mandriva.com/xwiki/bin/view/Main/GDiumInfo

Mandriva packs in changes for new release

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=3326