[News] Another Great Year Ahead for GNU/Linux-based Sub-notebooks

ARMing GNU/Linux Netbooks for Success in 2009

,----[ Quote ]
| Alongside price and performance, GNU/Linux has another advantage here Because
| Intel dominates the desktop as completely as Windows does (and largely for
| the same reason of duopolistic synergy), we tend to forget that Microsoft's
| main operating system only runs on Intel. That was not always the case: some
| years ago, Windows ran on other chips too, but these were dropped as Intel
| came to dominate, and Microsoft lost interest.
|
| GNU/Linux, by contrast, has been ported to more and more hardware, because
| hackers were and are intrigued by the challenge of doing so.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=1697&blogid=14

Mini-notebook chips suitable for Linux devices?

,----[ Quote ]
| Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) announced an X86-compatible chipset for
| ultra-portable laptops. With its Athlon "Neo MV-40" CPU that resurrects the
| venerable K8 core, the solderable AMD Yukon chipset could prove interesting
| for low-cost rugged boards and devices running Linux, though no lifecycle
| guarantees have been announced.
`----

http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS8211921303.html?kc=rss

Recent:

New toy or new best friend?

,----[ Quote ]
| It also isn’t a speed demon, but so far with web
| browsing and using OpenOffice, I haven’t found myself
| waiting for anything. One thing to note is that I
| requested a Linux version of the netbook. It runs
| “Linpus Lite Linux”, a customized version of
| Fedora with a very useful dashboard for everyday applications.
`----

http://education.zdnet.com/?p=2010

2008 year in review: Netooks

,----[ Quote ]
| The launch of the netbook was also aided by the
| progression of Linux, allowing vendors to cut
| out the cost of the operating system as well
| as customise it to offer a very basic and simple to navigate
| interface.
|
| [...]
|
| It also seems that, although Linux was
| originally the operating system of choice for
| netbooks, the majority of customers are opting
| for Windows XP versions of the devices.
`----

http://www.crn.com.au/News/91803,2008-year-in-review-netbooks.aspx

Larry Magid: Looking back on eventful year for tech

,----[ Quote ]
| Using Linux lowers the cost because the
| manufacturer doesn't have to pay Microsoft a
| royalty and it improves performance because
| it's typically faster and less resource-hungry than Windows.
`----

http://www.mercurynews.com/business/ci_11304612?source=rss

$98 laptop from China - Industry changer?

http://technocrat.net/d/2008/9/3/48704

HiVision miniNote Linux Laptop

http://www.gearlive.com/news/article/q208-hivision-mininote-linux-laptop/

$98 Linux Laptop - The HiVision miniNote

http://techvideoblog.com/ifa/98-linux-laptop-the-hivision-mininote/

CTL vows $149 Atom, Linux-based desktop

http://www.electronista.com/articles/08/09/01/ctl.2go.nettop/