[News] [Rival] Big Windows Security Mess Leads to More GNU/Linux

The wonders of Windows: worms, worms, worms

,----[ Quote ]
| It would have been good to have some equivalent of Delilah on Windows to
| negate the role of this browser, but, sadly there is none. There are some
| third-party applications like XPlite , developed by Australian Shane Brooks,
| which do remove most of IE but then which browser do you use to update
| Windows? Only IE supports ActiveX.
|
| You can, of course, move from XP to Vista where the updates are done through
| the control panel but that would be the equivalent of offering a man a choice
| between arsenic and cyanide for breakfast.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/22527/1148/

Related:

With Vista breached, Linux unbeaten in hacking contest

,----[ Quote ]
| The MacBook Air went first; a tiny Fujitsu laptop running Vista was hacked on
| the last day of the contest; but it was Linux, running on a Sony Vaio, that
| remained undefeated as conference organizers ended a three-way computer
| hacking challenge Friday at the CanSecWest conference.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2008/032908-with-vista-breached-linux-unbeaten.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news

Windows Update's Sneaky Updates

,----[ Quote ]
| "The only altered files that have been reported to date are 18 small
| executables used by WU itself. Microsoft is patching these files silently,
| even if auto-updates have been disabled on a particular PC."
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/operating_systems/windows_updates_sneaky_updates.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535

Microsoft reacts to kernel hacks, defends Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft wasn't much help in figuring out exactly what was beefed up by the
| PatchGuard update; the accompanying information was extremely vague. The
| MSRC's release manager, Simon Conant, was just as tight-lipped in a posting
| to the center's blog. "The update adds additional checks to Kernel Patch
| Protection for increased reliability, performance, and security," Conant
| said.
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/08/15/Microsoft-reacts-to-kernel-hacks_1.html?source=rss&url=www.infoworld.com%2Farticle%2F07%2F08%2F15%2FMicrosoft-reacts-to-kernel-hacks_1.html

Skeletons in Microsoft’s Patch Day closet

,----[ Quote ]
| This is the first time I’ve seen Microsoft prominently admit to silently
| fixing vulnerabilities in its bulletins — a controversial practice that
| effectively reduces the number of publicly documented bug fixes (for those
| keeping count) and affects patch management/deployment decisions.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=316

Beware of undisclosed Microsoft patches

,----[ Quote ]
| Forget for a moment whether Microsoft is throwing off patch counts
| that Microsoft brass use to compare its security record with those
| of its competitors. What do you think of Redmond’s silent patching
| practice?
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=527

Microsoft : Arrogance leads to Vulnerability

,----[ Quote ]
| Chatting with the Microsoft senior sales people, I was struck by
| their incredible arrogance. They know the company?s products are good,
| but they have no qualms whatsoever about charging top dollar as a
| result.
|
| It reminds us how Microsoft used to behave when it comes to their
| products' security records. IE5 and 6 were nothing short of being
| proper Swiss Cheese with loads of holes in them but hey, they had 95%
| of the browser market at that time and couldn't care less.
`----

http://securityblog.itproportal.com/?p=514

Why Linux is More Secure Than Windows

,----[ Gist ]
| Much better patch management tools...
|
| Much stronger default configuration...
|
| Modular Design...
|
| Better tools to protect against zero-day attacks...
|
| Open Source Architecture...
|
| Diverse Environment...
`----

http://freewebsoftwarereviews.blogspot.com/2007/12/why-linux-is-more-secure-than-windows.html

Linux Security: A Big Edge Over Windows

The problems with Vista laid bare - What might have been

Why Windows is less secure than Linux

http://blogs.zdnet.com/threatchaos/?p=311

Microsoft Windows: Insecure by Design

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A34978-2003Aug23?language=printer

If Only We Knew Then What We Know Now About Windows XP

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/23/AR2006092300510.html?nav=rss_technology

Why Windows is a security nightmare.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/05/21/1085120110704.html

The Structural Failures of Windows

Bumper bundle of Windows updates includes Vista patches

,----[ Quote ]
| June's Patch Tuesday has brought a substantial crop of updates for Windows,
| including three critical patches for Vista =and other versions, calling into
| question Microsoft's "secure by design" claim for its latest operating
| system.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/18698/1054/

Nevis Labs Identifies Vulnerabilities in Microsoft Windows Live OneCare

,----[ Quote ]
| Nevis Networks, a market leader in secure switching and identity-based policy
| enforcement appliances, today announced that Nevis Labs has identified
| vulnerabilities in Microsoft Windows Live OneCare.
`----

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20080514006196&newsLang=en

Vista Called as Vulnerable as Predecessors

,----[ Quote ]
| It looks as if Vista's reputation for improved security could be heading for
| the pages of history. PC Tools has renewed last week's attack on the platform
| with new figures that appear to back up its claim that Vista is almost as
| vulnerable as its predecessors.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/146281/vista_called_as_vulnerable_as_predecessors.html

Vista security credentials tarnished in malware survey

,----[ Quote ]
| "[Vista]has been hailed by Microsoft as the most secure version of Windows to
| date. However, recent research conducted with statistics from over 1.4
| million computers within the ThreatFire community has shown that Windows
| Vista is more susceptible to malware than the eight year old Windows 2000
| operating system, and only 37 per cent more secure than Windows XP," said
| Simon Clausen, chief exec at PC Tools.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/05/09/win_malware_survey/

Vista as Insecure as Windows 2000