[News] More Encouraging Signs of Old Media and DRM Dying

Amazon's Best Selling MP3 Album For 2008 Was Available Legally For Free

,----[ Quote ]
| In other words, you could go on pretty much any file sharing system out there
| and legally download the music for personal use... and yet it was still the
| top selling downloadable album (this is on top of all the money earned by
| Reznor's other business models associated with this album). Certainly puts a
| nice little cherry on top of the theme of my presentation.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090105/1657523291.shtml

As Rumored, Apple Gives Record Labels Variable iTunes Pricing In Exchange For
Ditching DRM

,----[ Quote ]
| As was rumored last night by Greg Sandoval at News.com, it appears that Apple
| has worked out a deal with the major record labels (being confirmed as I
| type) where they will give up DRM (which is the direction they've been moving
| towards anyway) in exchange for variable pricing of music -- which they've
| been salivating over for years. This has been a major source of contention
| between Apple and the record labels. Steve Jobs has stood firmly by the
| $0.99/song price, while the record labels specifically wanted to be able to
| price hit songs at higher prices. The dropping of DRM is nice, but hardly
| that surprising, given that pretty much every other online download store has
| been going DRM free. This just puts the final nail in the coffin for music
| DRM. One nice tidbit: you'll apparently be able to upgrade your older DRM'd
| purchases to make them DRM free. That's a good (and slightly surprising)
| move.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090106/1039003297.shtml

Recent:

Paul McCartney Embraces DRM-Free Music

,----[ Quote ]
| Sir Paul McCartney is offering his latest side project as a DRM-free digital
| download available as high-quality MP3 files...
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/155329/paul_mccartney_MP3s.html?tk=rss_news

Digital Copy: A feature that's no feature

,----[ Quote ]
| You may have noticed that many new DVDs and Blu-Ray discs are being
| advertised with a new, extra 'feature:' Digital Copy. These films, such as
| Wanted, The Dark Knight and Mamma Mia!, come with an additional disc. On this
| disc is a copy of the movie you can put it on your computer, and from there,
| view it on your PC's screen or on your television via an Apple TV or some
| other computer-to-TV device.
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/digital_copy_a_feature_thats_no_feature

DRM is always anti-user

,----[ Quote ]
| No user likes DRM. What Cory Doctorow said about Sony is really true for all
| DRM: “No Sony customer woke up one morning and said, “Damn, I wish Sony would
| devote some expensive engineering effort in order that I may do less with my
| music.”". Expanding the DRM acronym (to mean “digital restrictions
| management” or “digital rights management”) is a matter of what side you’re
| on. If you’re on the user’s side, the side that says you ought to be able to
| treat stuff you bought as your own, you’ll not forget that “digital rights
| management” is “private language” as well. It’s language that exists to
| promulgate the publisher’s perspective instead of the user’s perspective thus
| reframing the debate to getting us to believe that our needs are less
| important or completely ignorable. The thing that makes DRM interesting to
| publishers is how well it can restrict users from doing what users want to
| do. Hence digital restrictions management is a more honest way of looking at
| what DRM means.
`----

http://www.digitalcitizen.info/2008/11/28/drm-is-always-anti-user/

Valve says DRM is stupid, but Microsoft still doesn't get it

,----[ Quote ]
| Valve is a wonderfully open company—in many cases, direct questions sent to
| the publisher will be answered by a member of the creative team within hours.
| One gamer recently e-mailed Valve and asked why he saw EA's logo on a
| commercial for Left 4 Dead: he bought the game via Steam but didn't want to
| support EA after the Spore DRM debacle. He got a reply from a managing
| director at the company, Gabe Newell, that was to the point: EA only handles
| distribution for the physical product, and Valve thinks most DRM is "just
| dumb."
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20081203-valve-calls-drm-stupid-microsoft-still-doesnt-get-it.html

35 Days Against DRM — Anti-DRM actions

,----[ Quote ]
| We'd like to get a physical presence on your local main street and outside
| major DRM retailers -- activists from all over the world, coming together to
| inform citizens of the dangers of DRM. We will have leaflets and signs that
| you can print, use and distribute. Encourage your local free software user
| group, chapter of Students for Free Culture and other anti-DRM activists to
| join you. We will post your event on DefectiveByDesign and others can sign-up
| to join you.
`----

http://www.defectivebydesign.org/days-protest

35 Days Against DRM -- Day 7: Prince: Friends without benefits.

,----[ Quote ]
| Mike McCarty sends in his horror story of being a Prince fan, as a reminder
| of some of the tricks being pulled on music fans in this DRM age. Mike wins
| one of our T-shirts and a DRM-free album from Magnatune.
`----

http://www.defectivebydesign.org/day07-prince

Valve boss lets off steam about DRM

,----[ Quote ]