[News] GNU/Linux Spares Environmental Waste

Saving the Planet with Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| But putting on my objective journalist hat for a moment (that would be a
| raspberry beret), it's safe to say that open source software has several
| environmental benefits over Store Boughten software.
|
| [...]
|
| With Linux you're rid of almost everything physical. No shrink wrap, no
| cardboard box full of mostly air, not even a jewel box. Usually the original
| install is from a home-burned CD, though it can be done from a file or a
| flash drive. After that everything is just downloads from the repository, the
| digital equivalent of bringing your own bag to the grocery store.
`----

http://jdeeth.blogspot.com/2009/01/software-as-subversive-activity-part-8.html

"Monopoly raises two classes of problems for a free society. First, the
existence of monopoly means a limitation on voluntary exchange through a
reduction in the alternatives available to individuals. Second, the existence
of monopoly raises the issue of “social responsibility”, as it has come to be
called, of the monopolist."

                --Milton Friedman

Recent:

Free Software Cuts PC Energy Use

,----[ Quote ]
| Remember the EcoButton? Well, there’s an upgraded version of a similar
| save-energy-via-PC-sleep-mode concept that isn’t made of plasticrap. A new
| free software program has been developed by Verdiem that will help cut PC
| energy use by allowing users to schedule when their computer goes into sleep
| mode.
|
| Called – rather unoriginally – Edison, it’s basically a free version of their
| SURVEYOR software program. A user can decide when their home and work PC
| slips to sleep so it consumes far less energy. While my computer use tends to
| be, well, constant, and I shut it down when I head for bed, something like
| this wouldn’t do much for computer-dependent people like me.
`----

http://www.ecogeek.org/content/view/1975/75/

Red Hat says Enterprise Linux 5.2 is greener

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux vendor Red Hat has updated its enterprise Linux version with features
| for big servers and some green improvements. Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.2
| includes virtualisation support for bigger systems and more memory
| architectures.
`----

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1000000121,39422955,00.htm

Related:

True or False: E-Waste

,----[ Quote ]
| True or False: Switching from a Windows-operated computer to a Linux-operated
| one could slash computer-generated e-waste levels by 50%.
|
| The answer is: TRUE
`----

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/12/03/eco.myth.ewaste/

Microsoft nears bottom of Greenpeace league table

,----[ Quote ]
| Environmental campaign organisation Greenpeace has published its latest study
| of the green credentials of electronics manufacturers, including makers of
| PCs and mobile phones, as well as Microsoft, which came near the bottom of
| Greenpeace's latest Guide to Greener Electronics.
`----

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/0,1000000091,39369882,00.htm

Vista gets slated - by the Greens

,----[ Quote ]
| The Green Party has slammed Microsoft and it's forthcoming operating
| system, Windows Vista, in a withering attack on the company's "monopoly".
|
| Microsoft not only takes criticism for allegedly environmentally
| unfriendly policies, but for attacking civil liberties.
|
| The party claims that "Vista gives Microsoft the ability to lock
| you out of your computer," and that "Microsoft are determined not
| to play fair" in the video content market.
`----

http://www.webuser.co.uk/news/news.php?id=107813

Microsoft dropped Vista hardware spec to raise Intel profits

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2008/03/01/microsoft_intel_vista_capable_emails/

Microsoft 'Caves' To Intel

http://www.forbes.com/2008/02/28/microsoft-vista-intel-tech-ebiz-cx_wt_0228vista.html?partner=yahootix