[News] KDE 4.2 Looking Good, Lancelot Enters

KDE 4.2 shaping up well

,----[ Quote ]
| Over the holidays i have spent lots of time in KDE 4.2 beta on openSUSE 11.1
| and things look to be shaping up well. I have submitted a few bugs to
| upstream and hope to see those washed out when 4.2 is officially released.
`----

http://cameronseader.blogspot.com/2009/01/kde-42-shaping-up-well.html

You’ve got branched!

,----[ Quote ]
| While this is great news for 4.2, it is even better for 4.3. This means that
| the SVN trunk is now exiting the /feature freeze/ state. This is a great
| thing for developers because the development becomes fun again (squashing
| bugs can not be labeled as fun), great for PlanetKDE readers since you’ll get
| real news from now on, and great for feature junkies for obvious reasons.
`----

http://ivan.fomentgroup.org/blog/2009/01/05/you-got-branched/

Recent:

Lancelot, and the Knights of the Plasma Widget

,----[ Quote ]
| As someone who is a stickler for usability and efficiency, this sort of
| project is really brilliant. The fact that there is competition between
| different menu systems is part of what gives open-source operating systems an
| edge over the commercial ones.
`----

http://bushweed.blogspot.com/2008/12/lancelot-and-knights-of-plasma-widget.html

Lancelot reaches Holy Grail of KDE menu

,----[ Quote ]
| KDE 4 is barely eight months old, and already it has three options for a main
| menu. Until now, users have either used the default Kickoff, which makes for
| awkward navigation of the menu tree, or reverted to the familiar but unwieldy
| classic menu. Now, with the first full release of Lancelot, users have
| another option that overcomes the shortcomings of both other alternatives and
| gives KDE 4 a thoroughly modern menu.
|
| [...]
|
| These points aside, Lancelot is in many ways what Kickoff should have been.
| It makes Kickoff structures work without inhibiting navigation or adding
| unnecessary complexity. I would not be greatly surprised if, a few releases
| down the road, Lancelot becomes the default menu in the KDE 4 series.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/147167

Lancelot revealed

,----[ Quote ]
| Well, not exactly, but now you can get the general idea, and you can see what
| it will look like
|
| This is an actual screenshot, not a mock up...
`----

http://ivan.fomentgroup.org/blog/2007/10/27/lancelot-revealed/

The LHC is using KDE

,----[ Quote ]
| I found some more interesting images:
|
| http://www.spiegel.de/fotostrecke/fotostrecke-35141-3.html
| http://www.spiegel.de/fotostrecke/fotostrecke-35141-5.html
| http://img388.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ohptoftimemeasured13sepjy2.png (from
| slashdot.org)
`----

http://blog.scopeport.org/nix/lhc-kde/

Deploying KDE to 52 million young people

,----[ Quote ]
| By the end of this year 29,000 labs serving some 32,000,000 students will be
| fully deployed and in active use.
|
| By the end of next year (2009) those numbers will have swelled to 53,000 labs
| serving some 52,000,000 students.
`----

http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2008/04/deploying-kde-to-52-million-young.html

Related:

KBFX, Windows-like Start Menu For KDE

,----[ Quote ]
| That's a brief look to my KBFX. Look at the one that circled red. It's the
| KBFX button. It's just like Start menu in Windows, isn't it. My favourite
| part from KBFX is that it can use many themes that can be downloaded for
| free. At the picture above i'm using Vista theme. So, is my Linux look like
| Vista now?
`----

http://virusandlinux.baskoroadi.web.id/2007/07/kbfx-windows-like-start-menu-for-kde.html

KBFX Preface

,----[ Quote ]
| KBFX is an alternative to the classical K-Menu button and it's menu.
| It improves the user experience by enabling the user to set a bigger
| (and thus more visible) start button and by finally replacing the
| Win95-like K-Menu. But if you still want the old menu, because you're
| used to it, it is still available as an option in KBFX. We recommend,
| however, that you give the Spinx bar a try.
`----

http://www.kbfx.org/staticpages/index.php?page=20060224122723802

kickoff season

,----[ Quote ]
| Have you already seen the new KDE main menu codenamed "Kickoff?"
`----

http://yamz.wordpress.com/2006/11/01/kickoff-season/

KDE 4 menu development

,----[ Quote ]
| The main goals of Raptor are clear: to provide a high quality menu
| everyone will like. This includes an intelligent "My Favourite" section
| (intelligent means really intelligent and not the stuff available today),
| a skin supported menu (png or svg, colour, layout), fancy effects ("rain
| in the menu", whatever that means) and of course searching of all entries
| - at the moment implemented with strigi (which was mentioned pretty often
| at akademy - hope it gets even more boost!).
`----

http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2006/09/30/kde-4-menu-development/

Kickoff Start Menu Research - Sneak Preview (Flash animation)

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://home.kde.org/~binner/kickoff/sneak_preview.html