[News] MAFIAA Tries New Trick to Enforce Monopoly

RIAA dumps dodgy detectives

,----[ Quote ]
| NOT HAVING actually understood that harassing and suing its customers isn't
| really a good idea, the Big Music MAFIAA has nonetheless dumped one crew of
| clowns that was doing the harassing. However, it's not an admission of defeat
| but just a change of tactics.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/232/1050232/riaa-dumps-dodgy-detectives

Recent:

RIAA Wins $8K Default Settlement Against Chronically Ill Teen

,----[ Quote ]
| Like something straight out of a bad made-for-TV movie, the
| RIAA has handed down its most recent hard-earned lesson
| about file sharing (and a possible $8,000 fine) to Ciara
| Sauro, a 19-year-old girl who suffers from pancreatitis and
| severe depression, has mounting medical bills and whose
| mother brings in just $8.25 an hour.
`----

http://www.thetripwire.com/news/2008/12/05/riaa-wins-8k-default-setlement-against-chronically-ill-teen/

ACTA Negotiators Hold Closed Door Meeting To Say They Need To Be More
Transparent

,----[ Quote ]
| One of our biggest complaints with ACTA, the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade
| Agreement that was initially written by the entertainment industry, and is
| being used to effectively sneak through new copyright law requirements around
| the world (every time you hear an industry supporter claim that copyright
| laws must be changed to live up to "international obligations" you know
| they're leaving out the part where it was the same industry that wrote those
| international treaties), is that the whole thing is being negotiated in
| secret.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20081221/1552013181.shtml

RIAA Apparently Unable To Stop Lawsuits In Motion

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20081223/1701593209.shtml