[News] Sub-notebooks Move Away from x86 (and to GNU/Linux), Disrupt Microsoft's Desktop

  • Subject: [News] Sub-notebooks Move Away from x86 (and to GNU/Linux), Disrupt Microsoft's Desktop
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 01:51:39 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Next netbook - thinner, cheaper, better, Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| All of these factors, as well as other logistics and economics, point to
| greater use of Linux. The open source OS — available in a variety of
| distributions that are specialized for netbooks — offers more flexibility in
| design and may help designers go leaner. In terms of the SSDs, we typically
| see them included in Linux versions, which may cost the same as the XP
| version, but is able to include the more expensive, non-moving SSD thanks to
| licensing savings from Linux. Lastly, as manufacturers drive down the prices
| of netbooks and their components, there is no question that Linux is a key
| component of the less expensive netbook. My discussion with Freescale
| confirmed this.
|
| As we’ve said, netbooks, MIDs and increasingly other mobile and consumer
| devices are largely about cost and Freescale agrees that the netbook’s
| reliance on WiFi, rather than a costly data plan with a smartphone, will be
| another key driver for consumers embracing netbooks.
`----

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2009/01/05/next-netbook-thinner-cheaper-better-linux/

Will the netbook cannibalize the traditional PC market?

,----[ Quote ]
| Will netbooks ultimately put the Linux OS on an equal footing with Windows in
| terms of market share? Probably not. Given how consumers view netbooks right
| now -- more as a "mini laptop" than as another category of device in its own
| right-- an ultra mobile device more in line with a mobile Internet device
| (MID) than a PC -- consumers are favoring Windows.
|
| "As consumers come to view it as less of a PC and more of a tool to access
| the Internet that happens to look like a laptop because of its larger screen
| and keyboard, then they will probably come to accept Linux more readily,"
| Solis said. "In addition, only x86-based processors from Intel and Via (AMD
| had not yet jumped into this game) can support Windows. x86 also support
| Linux. The competing platform base would be ARM -- mostly with Cortex A-8 and
| Cortex A-9 based processors from ARM itself and its licensees. These
| platforms do not support Windows XP or Vista, but they do support full PC
| versions of Linux (that would be optimized for netbooks and MIDs)."
`----

http://www.echannelline.com/usa/story.cfm?item=24078

Recent:

Cheap PCs Weigh on Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| But most netbooks have less processing power than their full-featured cousins
| and can’t run high-spec versions of Windows, the world’s most widely used
| operating system. Microsoft is selling netbook makers cheaper, lighter
| versions of its operating system, but some manufacturers cut it out
| altogether by using Linux, an open-source OS. About 30% of netbooks, which
| sell for as little as $300, run a version of Linux.
`----

http://blogs.wsj.com/biztech/2008/12/08/cheap-pcs-weigh-on-microsoft/

Hot tech toys: Small, lightweight laptops

,----[ Quote ]
| These sleek Wi-Fi-enabled computers are usually limited in capacity, and to
| keep costs down, often ship with the open-source Linux operating system
| instead of Microsoft's Windows.
`----

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/technology/2008-12-03-mini-notebooks-2_N.htm

is there a long-term future for the netbook?

,----[ Quote ]
| The retail impact of Linux in the netbook market has been huge, with many
| retailers reporting that Linux based netbooks were taking up 40% or more of
| their notebook class shipments.
`----

http://zerias.blogspot.com/2008/11/is-there-long-term-future-for-netbook.html

Linux Carried Along on Netbooks Wave