[News] Google's GNU/Linux Desktop Distribution; gOS 3.1 Released

Meet Google Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| You knew it was coming. Surely you did. First Google had their “Google
| Desktop” that mostly went nowhere. Then came Chrome, the browser that
| threatened to “out cool” any other browser. And then came Android, the
| operating system for the phone of the future (the one that supposedly could
| take down the iPhone). Android. An operating system for mobile phones.
|
| [...]
|
| Now remember, Google already has Google Mail, Google Docs, Google Calendar,
| Google this and Google that. It is now shy only a platform to run as a
| full-fledged system.
`----

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/opensource/?p=316

[gOS 3.1 has just been released]

http://www.thinkgos.com/

"In one piece of mail people were suggesting that Office had to work equally
well with all browsers and that we shouldn’t force Office users to use our
browser. This Is wrong and I wanted to correct this."

                                --Bill Gates

"Another suggestion In this mail was that we can’t make our own unilateral
extensions to HTML I was going to say this was wrong and correct this also."

                                --Bill Gates

Recent:

Report: Android OS Coming To Netbooks

,----[ Quote ]
| Most of the bestselling laptops on Amazon’s computer
| bestseller list are so-called netbooks, computers which
| have little memory, are highly compact and more affordable
| than traditional laptops. Lighter and smaller, they’re
| largely for mobility and internet use.
`----

http://searchengineland.com/report-android-os-coming-to-netbooks-15990

Android OS running on netbooks

,----[ Quote ]
| Taking a tip from a Google developer who claimed to have
| Android running on an older Asus Eee 701, Daniel Hartmann
| over at VentureBeat.com got Android up and running on an
| Asus Eee 1000H in about four hours. Geez, that was easy,
| huh?
|
| The ease at which the Android OS was able to be installed
| on a computer shouldn’t be too surprising, as Android
| itself is Linux-based, and it also underscores Google’s
| goal of getting Android onto more than just mobile phones.
`----

http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/01/02/android-os-running-on-netbooks/

Android will be more than a phone

,----[ Quote ]
| But if Android is available in a Netbook form factor new
| worlds open up. Users can aid in development. WiFi becomes
| practical, indeed desireable. You can also have a
| continuing back-up of your Android data files.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=3246

Related:

Google updates Android software development kit

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2008/021308-google-updates-android-software-development.html

Google releases Android SDK

http://www.macworld.com/article/61005/2007/11/androidsdk.html

A developer's perspective on Google's Android SDK

Android SDK in the fly

http://www.gphonemodules.com/2008/01/18/anadroid-sdk-in-the-fly/

Google Android gets positive early reviews

http://www.techworld.com/mobility/features/index.cfm?featureid=3845&pagtype=samechan