[News] Richard Stallman Interview on the Road Ahead

Stallman: "we still have a fight on our hands"

,----[ Quote ]
| While Linux Torvalds gets most of the plaudits nowadays for the Linux kernel,
| it was Stallman who originally posted plans for a new, and free, operating
| system. Free had nothing to do with the cost of the operating system, but
| with the implicit rights of those who were using the software to do with it
| exactly as they pleased. "I launched the development of the GNU operating
| system back in 1983 specifically to make it possible to use a computer
| without ceding these freedoms and accepting the dominion of the software's
| developers," he told us.
`----

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/the-state-of-free-software-496596

Recent:

Q&A: Richard Stallman, founder of the GNU Project and the Free Software
Foundation

,----[ Quote ]
| Free software means software that respects users' freedom. More specifically
| it means you as a user have these four essential freedoms:
|
| 1) To run the program as you wish.
| 2) To study the source code and change it, and thus make the program
| do what you wish.
| 3) To redistribute exact copies when you wish – this is the freedom
| to help your neighbour.
| 4) To distribute copies of your modified versions when you wish – this is the
| freedom to contribute to your community.
|
| With these four freedoms, we users have control of our computing, both
| individually and collectively. A free program develops democratically under
| the control of its users, whereas a proprietary program develops under the
| dictatorship of its owner and imposes that owner’s power on its users.
`----

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2230530/q-richard-stallman-founder-gnu

My Interview With Richard Stallman.

,----[ Quote ]
| 3. Is there any future at all for software that isn't free?
|
| That depends on you! Specifically, whether you value your freedom enough to
| reject proprietary software. If you want to live in freedom, that's the way.
| You need to escape from proprietary software that would take it away from
| you. The purpose of the Free Software Movement, the reason we developed GNU,
| is to make a place to escape to.
`----

http://www.0x000000.com/?i=551

Interview: How a hacker became a freedom fighter

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.newscientist.com/channel/opinion/mg19826511.900-interview-how-a-hacker-became-a-freedom-fighter.html