[News] GNU/Linux Protects People from Government Hawks

UK Government backs more remote searching of private PCs

,----[ Quote ]
| Liberty director Shami Chakrabati said "These are very intrusive powers – as
| intrusive as someone busting down your door and coming into your home" and
| that Liberty would be seeking to challenge the legal basis of the proposals.
| Dominic Grieve, the shadow home secretary, considered that there were
| benefits to law enforcement, but that "The exercise of such intrusive powers
| raises serious privacy issues. The government must explain how they would
| work in practice and what safeguards will be in place to prevent abuse."
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/121155

Another Reason to Run GNU/Linux...

,----[ Quote ]
| Er, and how are they going to break into my system to install the keylogger
| if they don't know the password? Attachments won't work: I'm generally clever
| enough *not* to open them, and even if I did, they wouldn't do much on a
| GNU/Linux box. And hacking my hard disc through the wireless network? I don't
| think so.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/01/another-reason-to-run-gnulinux.html

Related:

German government admits it is already conducting online searches

,----[ Quote ]
| Piltz called on the German government to block funding for the
| programming of software used in online searches; she also said it
| was urgent that the government "discontinue these searches until
| the German Supreme Court has reached a ruling on the matter."
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/88895/from/rss09

"Trusted" Computing

,----[ Quote ]
| Do you imagine that any US Linux distributor would say no to the
| US government if they were requested (politely, of course) to add
| a back-door to the binary Linux images shipped as part of their
| products ? Who amongst us actually uses the source code so helpfully
| given to us on the extra CDs to compile our own version ? With
| Windows of course there are already so many back-doors known and
| unknown that the US government might not have even bothered to
| ask Microsoft, they may have just found their own, ready to
| exploit at will. What about Intel or AMD and the microcode on
| the processor itself ?
`----

http://tuxdeluxe.org/node/164

Data Protection Commissioner criticizes search of private PCs online

,----[ Quote ]
| "In the case of a search via the Internet a police officer covertly,
| without the person knowing about it, accesses a person's computer."
| During such an operation he or she might copy data and obtain all
| kinds of personal documents; the police officer was acting as a "state
| hacker," so to speak. Mr. Schaar observed. "Such an approach is in
| conflict with the legal obligation to protect the core of
| individuals' privacy," Mr. Schaar stated emphatically.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/82529/from/rss09

James Allchin

'---[ Quote ]