Re: Ubuntu makes impact on new user, ditches Windows

On Fri, 02 Jan 2009 09:03:42 -0600, Sinister Midget wrote:

> On 2009-01-02, Ian Hilliard <nospam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> claimed:
>> Hadron wrote:

>>> And yet to all intents and purposes there is little if any price
>>> difference.
>>
>> ...until you add on the cost of all the stuff that is needed to make a
>> Windows box safe to use, i.e. Virus Scanner, Spyware Scanner, firewall,
>> etc... This of course assumes that you don't want to buy MS Office and
>> pay a fortune for that.
>
> Hadrone is "advocating linux" again I see.
>
> With linux I get:
>
> * office products (multiple to choose from)
>
> * web browsers (multiple to choose from)
>
> * media players (multiple to choose from)
>
> * graphics packages (multiple to choose from)
>
> * web servers (if I want - more than one)
>
> * ftp servers (if I want - more than one)
>
> * media rippers and burners (multiple to choose from)
>
> * PDA tools (more than one way to skin that cat)
>
> * SIP clients (multiple to choose from)
>
> * bitorrent clinets (multiple to choose from)
>
> * email clients (multiple to choose from)
>
> * games (multiple to choose from in more than one category)
>
> * a powerful commandline (more than one choice there)
>
> * powerful commandline editors (multiple to choose from)
>
> * webcam tools (multiple to choose from)
>
> * digital camera tools (multiple to choose from)
>
> * a package manager that puts thousands of free programs a click away
>
> * a peppy computer
>
> With Windwoes I could get (if I hated myself enough to use it):
>
> * notepad (1 each)
>
> * wordpad (maybe, 1 each)
>
> * web browser (1 each, but with multiple exploitable bugs)
>
> * a media player (1 each, that refuses to play some media)
>
> * paint (1 each)
>
> * an email client (1 each, similar quality to the lone web browser)
>
> * games (1 each: hearts, solitaire, freecell, minesweeper, etc)
>
> * an intentionally crippled commandline (nothing you can do about it)
>
> * gazillions of crappy programs that you can buy for too much to get
>   too little
>
> * a computer that could be out-paced by a snail in a snow storm

Ah, but Hadron Stalin Quack the "Linux Advocate Extraordinaire" &
"Chairman of the Supreme Linux Culling Committee" says that *these*
windoze apps are better than the apps that come with Linux!

<quote>
The great majority of Windows application SW is eons better than it's OSS
copy or alternative.
<unquote>
From: Hadron

<quote>
Anyone who says Open Office is as good as MS Office is living in denial.
<unquote>
From: Hadron Quark <hadronquark@xxxxxxxxx>

And Heroin...err....Hadron Quack is always right, isn't he! ;-)

> Gosh! One of those lists is longer than the other, and one offers more
> choices, and one has more you can do with it out of the box and/or with
> free downloads accomplished within a few minutes. The surprise (to dolts
> like Quink) is that the lists with those 3 attributes happen to all be the
> same one: linux.
>
> But Quack doesn't use linux, so it's understandable that he doesn't know
> these things. He knows just enough to toss some words around, and not
> enough to prevent proving himself to be singularly unqualified to comment
> on it at all. But that won't stop him because he's a "kernel hacker" and
> "swapfile expert".

And don't forget "Tripwire expert" too! ;-)

--
No room for the horrors
of Micro$oft here!