[News] In Defence of Freedom -- in the GNU Sense -- in Linux

Editor's Note: Linux Needs Fewer Friends

,----[ Quote ]
| Linus' disdain for Richard Stallman, the Free Software
| Foundation, and enforcing the GPL in regards to the kernel
| is well-known. Now we have another high-ranking kernel
| developer dissing on Free Software. Why? What is about
| freedom that turns off so many people? Is there suddenly so
| much Free Software in the world that we need to pollute it
| with closed, proprietary gunk? I'm not going to go all
| pundit and claim this is a trend that signals the doom of
| Linux, though it is tempting. A core, essential freedom of
| Free Software is the end user gets to control what goes on
| their systems. All these people who think freedom means
| forcing more proprietary junk on everyone are missing the
| point by several country miles.
|
| There are a number of same old oft-repeated responses to
| these issues: "I just want it to work. Leave the politics
| out of it. Too much idealism is bad." etc etc... a lot of
| these are answered in "Myths, Lies, and Truths about the
| Linux kernel". That is Greg Kroah-Hartman's famous talk
| that states plainly "Closed source Linux kernel modules are
| illegal." Greg K-H went on to launch the Free Linux Driver
| Development! project, which has succeeded in attracting a
| lot of vendors to the world of GPL drivers. Mr.
| Kroah-Hartman is also a leading kernel developer, so it is
| good I did not cry doom.
`----

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2008-12-31-022-35-OP-DV

Related:

DRM, GPLv3 just 'hot air': Linus Torvalds

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/DRM_GPLv3_is_hot_air_Linus_Torvalds/0,130061733,339273084,00.htm
http://tinyurl.com/yh5drl