[News] Intellectual Monopolies Around Publication Are Dying

The Nichepaper Manifesto

,----[ Quote ]
| Dear Newspaper Magnates,
|
| So you're going to try and charge people for news yet again. Cart, meet
| horse.
|
| Journalists didn't make 20th century newspapers profitable — readers did.
| 20th century newspapers were never supernormally profitable because of what
| they wrote: it was the natural monopoly dynamics of classifieds that fueled
| massive margins.
`----

http://blogs.harvardbusiness.org/haque/2009/07/the_nichepaper_manifesto.html

AOL Newsroom Now Has (Wow) 1,500 Writers

,----[ Quote ]
| AOL now has 1,500 people writing content across its scores of content
| sub-brands, we’ve confirmed. Around 1,000 of those people are working full
| time for AOL, the rest are freelancing. That’s more than double the number
| that they had creating content a year ago, and by this time next year, we’ve
| heard, the plan is to have 2-3x as many people as they do now.
`----

http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/07/29/aol-newsroom-now-has-wow-1500-writers/

The Nichepaper and the Failure of the Fourth Estate

,----[ Quote ]
| It's time for the news media to face the music. The 20th Century news media
| turned a blind eye to responsibility. Because they failed to fight for the
| rest of us, newspapers have to suffer with the rest of us. Consider it
| penance for a job poorly done.
`----

http://blogs.harvardbusiness.org/haque/2009/07/the_nichepaper_and_the_failure.html

Is There Really A 'Piracy' Problem For Newspapers?

,----[ Quote ]
| A few years ago, newspapers were all blaming Craigslist for their own
| business model problems. Then, of course, it became popular to blame Google.
| However, there's been an odd shift recently, to a claim that the problem is
| from "pirates" and "parasites." We see this in the AP's sudden desire to DRM
| the news by tracking how it's used and going after those it feels are using
| its content unfairly. We see it in the Marburger brothers' plan to put legal
| pressure on "parasitic aggregators." The problem, as we discussed, however,
| is that these parasitic aggregators are few and far between and the
| complaints against them just don't ring true at all.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090730/0423325715.shtml

Homeland Security Cuts Newspaper/Magazine Subscriptions; Says To Use The Web

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090730/0203075708.shtml

Recent:

AP Preparing New Copyright Management System

,----[ Quote ]
| The new system will register key identifying information about each piece of
| content that AP distributes as well as the terms of use of that content into
| a storage database. It also will employ a built-in "beacon" to notify AP and
| other publishers about how the content is used.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Data-Storage/AP-Preparing-New-Copyright-Management-System-383361/

DRM for news? Inside the AP's plan to "wrap" its content

,----[ Quote ]
| The Associated Press, reeling from the newspaper apocalypse, has a new plan
| to "wrap" and "protect" its content though a "digital permissions framework.
| But there's (way) less here than meets the eye.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2009/07/drm-for-news-inside-the-aps-plan-to-wrap-its-content.ars

Permission Culture: Want To Quote A Single Sentence In A Book? Pay Up!

,----[ Quote ]
| Yes, it's become so impossible to quote a single short sentence, that it's
| just not worth doing at all. Welcome to permission society. Some copyright
| system believers may claim that this is just the market at work, but it
| certainly seems a lot more like an undue restriction on freedom of expression
| at the hands of copyright law.

Did European Court Just Make Search Engines Illegal? 11-Word Snippet Can Be
Copyright Infringement

,----[ Quote ]