[News] Microsoft Nervous About H-P and Intel Peddling Towards GNU/Linux

Microsoft says Intel, HP 'Actively' Working with Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| "Partners such as Hewlett-Packard and Intel have been actively working with
| alternative Linux-based operating systems," Microsoft wrote, providing no
| additional detail.
|
| While it's been known for some time that HP - - which sells some notebooks
| and netbooks and servers with Linux - - and Intel have dedicated some
| resources to Linux development, this is the first time that Microsoft has
| singled out its two biggest and arguably most important technology partners
| for this work. While the language in 10-K reports is traditionally dry,
| legalistic and boilerplate, for a company like Microsoft to add that
| information for the first time is notable. It also comes at a time when
| Microsoft reported a double-digit decline in its client software business
| even as it reported selling more than 300 million units of Windows Vista over
| the past two years. (It sold 130 million units two years ago and 180 million
| units of Vista last year, although it doesn't specify how many units were
| sold or activated with "downgrade rights" to Windows XP.)
`----

http://community.crn.com/blogs/insideball/2009/07/30/microsoft-says-intel-hp-actively-working-with-linux

Intel steps up new mobile focus, Ballmer dismisses thin clients

,----[ Quote ]
| So far, the netbook market is heavily dominated by Windows and Intel Atom,
| though the second wave - ushering in smaller, more mobile devices such as
| smartbooks and MIDs - could shift towards Linux. Intel is readying itself for
| this shift, creating its Moblin Linux platform and working with Nokia. It is
| less clear how Microsoft will respond - it has no plans to shrink down the
| footprint or margins of its forthcoming Windows 7 for smartbooks, but admits
| Windows Mobile remains an under-performer.
`----

http://www.rethink-wireless.com/?article_id=1738

Recent:

Irate e-mails reveal HP, Microsoft strife

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.techflash.com/microsoft/HP_Microsoft_e-mails_reveal_more_Vista_fallout34518079.html