[News] Linux Kernel Space Gets Heaps More Graphics Drivers

Nearly Two Dozen X.Org Drivers Get Updated

,----[ Quote ]
| In time for the X.Org 7.5 release (whenever that may come), David Airlie has
| put out new driver releases for nineteen of the X.Org video drivers. These
| aren't updates to the mainline ATI/AMD, Intel, or even NVIDIA drivers, but
| some of the drivers for less common graphics hardware.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzQyMg

Recent:

S3 Graphics Releases Linux Driver With OpenGL 3.0, VA-API

,----[ Quote ]
| For months we have seen S3 Graphics advertise a magical Linux driver in their
| press releases that promised to offer OpenGL 3.0 support and advanced video
| functionality. They had reported to us the driver would be released in
| December, but that deadline had passed and they continued to announce Linux
| support when launching the Chrome 540 GTX, but still there was nothing.
| However, S3 Graphics has now actually delivered such a driver! They have
| delivered a Chrome 500 series Linux driver that not only provides OpenGL 3.0
| support but also H.264, VC-1, and MPEG-2 hardware decoding on the GPU. While
| it may appear to be good, this driver is still far from perfect.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=s3_linux_ogl3_vaapi&num=1

Intel, NVIDIA Kernel Mode-Setting In Fedora 11

,----[ Quote ]
| The Nouveau kernel mode-setting support is still very experimental as their
| API isn't even finalized and it will not enter the mainline Linux kernel in
| time for Fedora 11. Red Hat though will patch the Linux 2.6.29 kernel to
| introduce this Nouveau KMS support for those who wish to use it instead of
| the DDX mode-setting within the X Server.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzEwMA

S3 Graphics Responds About Linux Support

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzA3MQ