[News] Linux Foundation LDN on Free Software Headway in Healthcare

Open Source as a Healthcare Solution

,----[ Quote ]
| Here's an example: when OpenVista is deployed in a mid-sized hospital like
| Midland Memorial Hospital in Midland, TX, the customer saved about $6 million
| in licensing fees they would have paid a proprietary software firm.
| (Medsphere uses a subscription-based pricing model.) But the real savings,
| Jung explained, comes in the prevention or lessening of complications that
| deviate from best-case scenarios.
`----

http://ldn.linuxfoundation.org/blog-entry/open-source-a-healthcare-solution

Recent:

Open source to power Connecticut HIE

,----[ Quote ]
| Hartford Healthcare, which provides rehabilitation, long term care, and
| hospice facilities in central Connecticut, said today it will combine Misys’
| open source connectivity technology with Allscripts EHR systems, a health
| record built on software as a service, to create Transforming Healthcare In
| Connecticut Communities (THICC), a regional system linking hospitals, clinics
| and facilities statewide.
`----

http://healthcare.zdnet.com/?p=2463

Carpenter Builds Open Source Imaging Software

,----[ Quote ]
| Anne Carpenter trained as a traditional cell biologist specializing in
| microscopy with no intention of writing image analysis software. “It wasn’t
| until I needed software to do something that existing commercial software
| couldn’t do that I became interested in writing software myself,” says
| Carpenter. The genesis of CellProfiler was “completely out of necessity.”
|
| [...]
|
| The software Carpenter built—CellProfiler—made its free open source debut in
| December 2005, and was detailed in Genome Biology in 2006. In January 2007,
| Jones and Carpenter established the Imaging Platform group at the Broad
| Institute, focusing on new algorithms and data analysis methods. From here,
| Carpenter can help dozens of researchers working on clinically relevant
| projects. “Everything we develop becomes open source, and the easiest way to
| get that out to the public is to put it into the CellProfiler interface.”
`----

http://www.bio-itworld.com/news/2009/07/21/BP-Carpenter.html

Open Source Meets Health Care

,----[ Quote ]