[News] Adoption of Free Software Sharing and Philosophy Now in Education

Library Awarded $175,000 Mellon Foundation Grant for Support of Open Source
Software for Libraries

,----[ Quote ]
| The University of Rochester River Campus Libraries has been awarded $175,000
| from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation to provide development support for the
| eXtensible Catalog (XC), the library's newly developed software interface
| that vastly improves library searches.
`----

http://www.rochester.edu/news/show.php?id=3411

U.C. Berkeley plans open source software for lecture distribution

,----[ Quote ]
| The university has already spent $220,000 this year on this project,
| named “Opencast Matterhorn.” Now grants totaling $1.5 million from the Andrew
| W. Mellon and William and Flora Hewlett foundations will cover that expense
| and pay for further development of the system.
`----

http://triangle.bizjournals.com/triangle/othercities/sanfrancisco/stories/2009/07/27/daily28.html

OpenLearn Research Report published

,----[ Quote ]
| The Open University has published a research report which is now available
| online (see link below). The report evaluates the impact OpenLearn has had
| internally and externally and the challenges that lie ahead in open content
| and establishing open learning networks
`----

http://www3.open.ac.uk/media/fullstory.aspx?id=16555

Recent:

Free Software in Education

,----[ Quote ]
| The notion of Free Software is definitely political. I’m not stating the
| obvious, that any human work that affects a community in any way is
| political. Neither I suggest that the ideological (as opposed to purely
| technical) reasons of many Free Software supporters (and its critics)
| automatically brand it as a political issue. They alone might as well
| characterize it as philosophical, artistic or simply iconic. Free Software is
| political because it is strongly tied with a deep political question: that of
| education, and access to it.
|
| [...]
|
| You can read two great articles that support this: Richard Stallman’s Why
| schools should exclusively use free software and Jean Peyratout’s Why give
| precedence to Free Software at Schools. To summarize them, Free Softwares
| helps students assimilate and generate knowledge, instead of simply acquire
| technical skills; it offers education, instead of training. It helps build
| communities, and promotes (actually depends on) discussion, cooperation,
| initiative and active participation to the development process. In an
| increasingly expanding digital world, it embodies the ideals of education.
`----

http://xpapad.wordpress.com/2009/05/22/free-software-in-education/

Students Adore Moodle

,----[ Quote ]