Re: The last hurdle

On 2009-07-29, Attila <jdkaye10@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Sav wrote:
>
>> There is no doubt that with the latest Linux distros can easily
>> replace windows on most home PC's.
>> The only real problem seems to be the Flash release for Linux.
>> More people are using the internet for watching  BBCi Player and
>> YouTube etc for higher quality playback  and the Flash implementation
>> for Linux is just not up to it.
>> I realise the Flash is not open source but how can this situation be
>> improved ?
>>
> It seems to work fine for me. I'm using FFx3.5.1 with Flash plugin 10.0 r22.
> Even the BBC iplayer works with this setup.
>
> Can you be a bit more specific about where "the implementation for Linux is
> just not up to it."?

I can attest to that.  On both my computers, the Flash 10 plugin is
horribly slow on fullscreen.  Hell, on my slower computer (1.8 GHz
32-bit Athlon, 1 GB of RAM) even non-full-screen is a little choppy, so
I resort to Flash 9 on that machine.

Flash 10 can use hardware acceleration, but the devs have blacklisted it
for all drivers that have 'SGI' in their titles (ie, the open-source
drivers; it only works with proprietary drivers).  You can edit
/etc/adobe/mms.cfg and set 'OverrideGPUValidation=true' to override the
whitelist and just force hardware acceleration for all drivers, but it
crashes on both of my machines (different cards, but they both use the
'radeon' OSS driver).

So I hate to be presumptuous, but this would tend to lead me to believe
that those that say there is no problem with Flash 10 are either (a)
using proprietary drivers (OSS advocates indeed!) or (b) running such a
fast machine that it doesn't matter.

It would be nice if we could just get gecko-mediaplayer and totem-plugin
to play 'application/x-shockwave-flash' Flash videos (they already
handle plain FLVs, and you can coerce them to play YouTube videos with
some scripting).  I don't *need* any of that other crap... just let me
play YouTube, Google Video, etc. videos and silently ignore any of that
other Flash junk^H^H^H^H "content".