[News] Another Look at OpenSolaris; UNIX at Age 40

Say 'Cheese': OpenSolaris' Time Slider

,----[ Quote ]
| Whenever an operating system — however obscure — comes up with a killer
| feature, it's worth sitting up and taking notice. And there's no doubt that
| OpenSolaris' Time Slider feature is heavily armed and dangerous.
`----

http://www.serverwatch.com/tutorials/article.php/3831881

Timeline: 40 Years Of Unix

,----[ Quote ]
| AT&T-owned Bell Laboratories withdraws from development of Multics, a
| pioneering but overly complicated time-sharing system. Some important
| principles in Multics were to be carried over into Unix.
|
| Ken Thompson at Bell Labs writes the first version of an as-yet-unnamed
| operating system in assembly language for a DEC PDP-7 minicomputer.
`----

http://www.itworld.com/operating-systems/72504/timeline-40-years-unix

Recent:

Unix turns 40: The past, present and future of a revolutionary OS

,----[ Quote ]
| Forty years ago this summer, a programmer sat down and knocked out in one
| month what would become one of the most important pieces of software ever
| created.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/technology/operating-systems/nix/in-depth/index.cfm?RSS&articleid=2281

The Unix family tree

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9133696

Timeline: 40 years of Unix

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9133628

On the shoulders of giants: Three Unix movers and shakers

,----[ Quote ]
| Programmers Ken Thompson and Dennis Ritchie are most often credited with the
| invention of Unix at Bell Labs in 1969 and the early 1970s. That's entirely
| fair, but as with most important technologies, it's the people who follow the
| pioneers who often make the difference between a fabulous lab prototype and a
| technology that really transforms the landscape.
|
| Here's a brief look at three people, among thousands, who have made a
| difference in the Unix world.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9133574

OpenSolaris 2009.06 Performance

,----[ Quote ]
| For the most part there are not many performance changes to be spotted in the
| 26 tests we ran using the Phoronix Test Suite. In some tests like
| GraphicsMagick, the newer GCC 4.3.2 compiler that is available via the Image
| Packaging System was a big help, while in other tests the newer GCC 4.x
| compiler actually led to a performance regression. Besides that there is not
| too much to illustrate with today's tests. Shortly we will have a new round
| of Ubuntu Linux vs. OpenSolaris testing.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=opensolaris_200906_benchmarks&num=1

Who wants a giant poster of the history of Unix?

,----[ Quote ]
| Debian, OpenServer, OpenBSD and Mac OSX all have their place in history
| shown.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/05/25/unix_poster/

A question about Linux