[News] GNU/Linux RAM Consumption Today Same as Windows About a Decade ago

Computer Memory - How much is good enough ?

,----[ Quote ]
| And now in 2009, their conclusion still holds true, I guess. You can run all
| the applications that a normal user will want to run - be it in Windows or
| Linux, in a PC or laptop which sports just 1 GB memory. Windows Vista doesn't
| count, as it is an aberration.
`----

http://linuxhelp.blogspot.com/2009/07/computer-memory-how-much-is-good-enough.html

Recent:

When too much memory is a problem, debug it

,----[ Quote ]
| My Dell has 2.5 gigabytes of memory, but when I try to put the machine into
| hibernation, I often get a message that there are "insufficient system
| resources to complete the API."
|
| According to a tech-support article at Microsoft's site (sup
| port.microsoft.com/kb/909095), your problem can be blamed in part on your
| computer having so much memory.
|
| But the bulk of the blame goes to a bug in Windows XP that can be zapped with
| a small "hot fix" download from that page.
`----

http://www.newsday.com/business/yourmoney/ny-a5622293mar23,0,7097465.story

Kernel space: How to use a terabyte of RAM

| An experimental new design for Linux's virtual memory system would turn a
| large amount of system RAM into a fast RAM disk with automatic sync to
| magnetic media.
|
| We have not yet reached a point where systems - even high-end boxes - come
| with a terabyte of installed memory. But products like those from Violin
| Memory make it clear that the day is coming; one can buy a Violin box with
| 500GB in it now.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2008/031808-kernel.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news

What to do with a Terabyte of RAM

,----[ Quote ]
| Come the day we get a terabyte of RAM in our systems, we'll find a need for
| it. After all, recall that great prophet Bill Gates who swore 640K of memory
| would be all we'd need. Real-time high-definition video editing anyone?
|
| [...]
|
| But while I can dream up applications that could use a terabyte of RAM, that
| leaves aside the wee technical problem of how you access that much memory.
| Daniel Phillips, a Linux developer, has an idea: the ramback virtual device.

Hip-hip-Hadoop!

,----[ Quote ]
| Just one more reason why the Microsoft-Yahoo merger, if it happens, will be
| hell:
|
| [...]
|
| Go[t] that? 10,000 core processors running GNU/Linux at the heart of Yahoo.
| Microsoft is damned if they do (rip and replace) and damned if they don't. Go
| on, make our day, Steve....
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2008/02/hip-hip-hadoop.html

Related:

Vista SP1 to lie about RAM usage. Deliberately!

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.antonywilliams.com/2007/12/vista-sp1-to-lie-about-ram-usage.html