[News] [Rival] Windows-only Ransomware Fun and Botnets in the News

Smut page ransomware Trojan ransacks browsers

,----[ Quote ]
| Russian cybercrooks have come up with a variant of ransomware scams, which
| works by displaying an invasive advert for online smut in users' browsers
| that victims are extorted to pay to remove.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/07/27/ransompage_trojan/

The Business of Botnets

,----[ Quote ]
| Kaspersky Lab released some interesting statistics recently in a technical
| whitepaper. As part of its research into the cyber-underground, the company
| took a look at how botmasters are pricing the networks under their control.
`----

http://securitywatch.eweek.com/botnets/the_business_of_botnets.html

Recent:

Ransomware Trojan code break 'impractical'

,----[ Quote ]
| A cryptographic expert has questioned the practicality of a code breaking
| initiative geared to cracking the key used in the dangerous Gpcode-AK
| ransomware virus.
|
| [...]
|
| But cryptographic expert Bruce Schneier argues that the effort is
| impractical, misguided and little better than a publicity stunt.
|
| "We've never factored a 1024-bit number - at least, not outside any secret
| government agency - and it's likely to require a lot more than 15 million
| computer years of work. The current factoring record is a 1023-bit number,
| but it was a special number that's easier to factor than a
| product-of-two-primes number used in RSA," he writes.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06/13/ransomware_trojan_code_break/

Related:

Security firm asks for help cracking ransomware key

,----[ Quote ]
| In ransomware attacks, hackers plant malware that encrypts files and then
| displays a message demanding money to unlock the data. In the case of the
| newest Gpcode, 143 different file types are encrypted,
| including .bak, .doc, .jpg and .pdf. The encrypted files are marked by the
| addition of "_CRYPT" in their file names, and the original unencrypted files
| are deleted. As a camouflaging move, Gpcode also tries to erase itself.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=930244217&rid=-50

Ransomware Trojan locks up infected PCs

,----[ Quote ]