[News] A Look at AssaultCube, GNU/Linux Game

AssaultCube: FPS Fun, Unburdened by Plot

,----[ Quote ]
| If the thought of free frags makes your trigger finger twitch, take a look at
| AssaultCube. This open-source first person shooter doesn't offer much in the
| way of snazzy graphics or major frills, and there's no storyline or plot.
| Just a selection of maps where you can hunt or be hunted by other players or
| computer-controlled bots. But the multi-platform AssaultCube can run on
| Windows, Linux or Macs, and its minimum system requirements are so low that
| just about any computer should be able to run it (Pentium III 500Mhz and
| nVidia GeForce 256 or equivalents, 128MB RAM). Plus, the entire game fits
| into a compact 40MB download.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/167831/assaultcube_fps_fun_unburdened_by_plot.html

Recent:

Come Play This New Linux-Native Game With Us!

,----[ Quote ]
| S2 Games may not be as well known as id Software or Epic Games, but what
| distinguishes them from most of the other game companies is that they
| actually support Linux. With S2 Games' Savage 2, for example they provide a
| Linux-native game client. S2 Games is hard at work on another title, Heroes
| of Newerth, and that too will be supported on Linux. In fact, it's already
| running on Linux and Linux gamers will likely find a native client binary
| around the time of the game's release on Windows (read: it won't be released
| months or years later, like what we frequently find with Linux ported
| titles). Sound pretty great, but too impatient to wait for the game's
| release? Well, come play it with us right now! And for free!
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzM5Nw

Phoronix Thread Leads To New Linux Game Ports

,----[ Quote ]
| Svartalf, a member of the Phoronix Forums and developer for Linux Game
| Publishing, recently asked our readers on the forums to provide a wish-list
| of games they wished to see ported to Linux. There ended up being an
| outpouring of interested Linux gamers with more than 1,120 replies! Svartalf
| shared that "[the] effort that actually did much more than I'd hoped for"
| and "as it stands, we've got one on contract (stalled though...) and one
| complete game as a result of this thread."
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzI5Nw

Unreal Tournament 3 Running On Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Next to the screenshots he says "Seriously, there's no conspiracy...so stop
| sending me email suggesting that Microsoft is paying to block this." These
| screenshots were made available on his blog last night. With Ryan finally
| talking about Unreal Tournament 3 now, it looks like the long-awaited Linux
| (and Mac OS X) client release may be imminent.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjcyOQ

UT3 Linux Release To Include Editor

,----[ Quote ]
| We don't know whether the Linux version will be released next week, next
| month, or next year, but we do know that it's still set to include the UT3
| game editor. Jeff Morris of Epic Games has commented on the Phoronix Forums
| this week that the UT3 Linux client patch will include full editor support.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjcyMg

Related:

UT3 Linux Server Released

,----[ Quote ]
| I know lots of potential server operators have been looking forward to this
| release, and at long last it is here. In case you're not on the server
| mailing list, we'll be posting a download for the files very soon.
`----

http://www.beyondunreal.com/daedalus/singlepost.php?id=11383Roy

Unreal Tournament 3 Linux Status

,----[ Quote ]
| For those of you who are not subscribed to the mailing list, here’s the email
| verbaitim from Ryan Gordon, the man behind the curtain who is responsible for
| the Linux port of UT3 Linux server and client binary distribution… which
| still hasn’t happened yet - but they will be available “as soon as possible.”
|
| The most interesting piece (in my opinion) is that he believes that it can be
| determined what the cause for delays in the final release of the Linux server
| by comparing the binaries. I better brush up on my assembly.
`----

http://www.fsckin.com/2007/12/17/unreal-tournament-3-linux-status/

UT3 Linux Server Coming Very Soon

,----[ Quote ]
| Ryan Gordon has announced on the Unreal Tournament 3 Linux mailing list that
| the Linux server for Unreal Tournament 3 will be out "very very soon".
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjI0MA

[UT3] Linux Dedicated Server "Very Soon"

,----[ Quote ]
| On the official mailing list for the Linux client and server, Ryan Gordon
| reports that the Linux Dedicated Server package is nearly ready.
`----

http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=192872

UT3 Linux in Box; No Editor?

,----[ Quote ]
| The game's predecessor, Unreal Tournament 2004, also included the Linux
| client/server binaries on the retail disc.
`----

http://www.linuxgames.com/news/feedback.php?identiferID=9593&action=flatview

Unreal Tournament 3 For Linux Confirmed

,----[ Quote ]