[News] Publication: "Should Copyright Of Academic Works Be Abolished?"

Should Copyright Be Abolished On Academic Work?

,----[ Quote ]
| We've discussed a few times over the years how copyright gets in the way of
| academic work. Journals (who get all of their writing and reviewing totally
| for free) insist on holding the copyright for those works in many cases. I've
| even heard of academics who had to redo pretty much the identical experiment
| because they couldn't even cite their own earlier results for fear of a
| copyright claim.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090724/0445155649.shtml

"Should Copyright Of Academic Works Be Abolished?"

http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/node/5505

Protecting the public domain and sharing our cultural heritage

,----[ Quote ]
| Last week, the National Portrait Gallery in London, UK sent a threatening
| letter to a Wikimedia volunteer regarding the upload of public domain
| paintings to Wikimedia’s media repository, Wikimedia Commons.
|
| The fact that a publicly funded institution sent a threatening letter to a
| volunteer working to improve a non-profit encyclopedia may strike you as odd.
| After all, the National Portrait Gallery was founded in 1856, with the stated
| aim of using portraits “to promote appreciation and understanding of the men
| and women who have made and are making British history and culture.” [source]
| It seems obvious that a public benefit organization and a volunteer community
| promoting free access to education and culture should be allies rather than
| adversaries.
`----

http://blog.wikimedia.org/2009/07/16/protecting-the-public-domain-and-sharing-our-cultural-heritage/

Recent:

Copyright Lobbyists Celebrate Latest Bogus Stats With Willing Gov't Officials

,----[ Quote ]
| They don't actually look at the real research on these things. Instead, they
| accept as gospel the ridiculous debunked research that comes out of the
| industry lobbyists who benefit the most from such protectionism that limits
| real and meaningful competition. And no one calls them on it. Take, for
| example, this Internet News report on how lobbyists for the music, movie and
| software industries all got together with Commerce Secretary Gary Locke, and
| talked up a new and misleading study from the International Intellectual
| Property Association that talks up the importance of copyright.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090721/0421575608.shtml

Copyright debate heats up over Obama appointments

,----[ Quote ]
| The president has, in fact, filled out some high-level Justice Department
| positions with lawyers favored by the copyright industry, including attorneys
| who have represented the Recording Industry Association of America and the
| Business Software Alliance. The signatories of the April 2 letter said the
| Justice Department's intervention last month in favor of a record label in a
| file-sharing case heightens their concern.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-10223549-38.html

Biden promises 'right person' as new U.S. copyright czar

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-10224689-38.html