[News] Application Installation to Become Simpler in Ubuntu GNU/Linux, More App Listings

  • Subject: [News] Application Installation to Become Simpler in Ubuntu GNU/Linux, More App Listings
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 18:06:23 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Ubuntu to make Linux application installation idiot proof

,----[ Quote ]
| There's really nothing that hard about installing programs on Linux. Anyone
| who still uses shell commands like say, "apt-get install
| some-program-or-the-other," is doing so because they want to do it that way,
| not because they have to. Programs like Debian and Ubuntu's Synaptic,
| Fedora's yum or openSUSE's YaST makes installing programs little more than a
| matter of point and click. Still, some people have trouble, so Ubuntu is
| reviving a dusty, old project, AppCenter so that anyone can install Linux
| programs.
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/ubuntu_to_make_linux_application_installation_idiot_proof

7 of the Best Free Linux Twitter Clients

,----[ Quote ]
| Micro-blogging is all the rage these days. It is a webservice which allows
| the subscriber to send short text updates or micromedia such as photos or
| audio clips and publish them, either to be viewed by anyone or by a
| restricted group which can be chosen by the user. Subscribers can read
| microblog posts online or request that updates be delivered in real time to
| their desktop as an instant message or sent to a mobile device as an SMS text
| message.
`----

http://www.linuxlinks.com/article/20090718060703717/Twitter.html

Five Open Source Apps to Manage Your Collections

,----[ Quote ]
| Comic books, DVDs, old vinyl albums, Star Wars figurines -- collecting things
| is fun. What's not fun, though, is keeping track of it all. When you have
| large collection of anything from books to steampunk LEGOS, it's important to
| keep an inventory so you know what you've got, what you still need, and who
| borrowed something. Here are five open source collection management apps to
| help you organize your stuff.
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/five-open-source-apps-to-manage-your-collections

Recent:

Ubuntu 9.10 is getting an installation slideshow

,----[ Quote ]
| The Ubuntu-Doc mailing list just received word from Dylan McCall and the
| Ubiquity Slideshow Team that Ubiquity (the Ubuntu live CD's installer) is
| being retrofitted with a slideshow that will play during installation. This
| is something I've supported for a long time and good news for new users, but
| it likely won't help anyone else.
`----

http://blog.ibeentoubuntu.com/2009/06/ubuntu-910-is-getting-installation.html

Best Ubuntu & Kubuntu Software to Add After Installation

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://techexposures.com/2009/06/best-ubuntu-kubuntu-software-to-add-after-installation/