[News] Free Software CMSs Gain More Momentum, Show Youngsters Succeed

Non Profit Media Companies Jump for Open Source CMS

,----[ Quote ]
| Built on the open source blog platform WordPress Multi User (WordPress MU)
| and some custom themes and plugins such as WPDB Profiling, project leaders
| claim that the new platform has made it considerably easier and cheaper for
| WNET.ORG to roll out multiple user-friendly sites.
`----

http://www.cmswire.com/cms/web-cms/non-profit-media-companies-jump-for-open-source-cms-005081.php

Matt Mullenweg And Dries Buytaert Probably Separated At Birth

,----[ Quote ]
| As I came to learn in the interview, it's as though Buytaert and Mullenweg
| were separated at birth. They were born only 6 years apart (The older of the
| two -- Buytaert -- was born in 1978 when I was a senior in high school). Both
| went on to create wildly successful PHP-based content management systems
| (Mullenweg did WordPress, Buytaert did Drupal). Both men open sourced those
| content management systems. And today, both are the founders of VC-funded
| commercial enterprises (Mullenweg's Automattic and Buytaert's Acquia) looking
| to capitalize on their founders' art and fame.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2009/07/matt_mullenweg.html;jsessionid=HXFFAPYVRFYIYQSNDLOSKH0CJUNN2JVN

Recent:

The Open Source Opportunity

,----[ Quote ]
| As you can see, the growth in demand for people skilled in open-source CMS
| platforms, in particular Drupal and Joomla, is huge. Part of the reason these
| particular platforms are ushering in more jobs for tech workers is that many
| publishers are switching to free, open-source content management systems from
| expensive proprietary ones. (In this post over at OStatic, I discussed that
| shift, and how the first major online publication in the UK is now running
| completely on Drupal.)
`----

http://webworkerdaily.com/2009/07/15/the-open-source-opportunity/

Acquia Gets $8 Million in Second Round Financing

,----[ Quote ]
| According to this report, existing investors Sigma Partners and North Bridge
| Partners participated in the second round financing for Acquia, but not
| O'Reilly Alphatech Ventures, which was one of the first round investors.
| Acquia has a new CEO, Tom Erickson, who joined the company in March.
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/acquia-gets-8-million-in-second-round-financing

Acquia Search screencast with RedMonk

,----[ Quote ]
| In this screencast, Bryan House from Acquia discusses Acquia Search with
| Michael Coté from RedMonk.
`----

http://buytaert.net/acquia-search-screencast-with-redmonk

Acquia Search available commercially