[News] New Linux RC, New Features and NVIDIA Driver

Linux 2.6.31-rc4

,----[ Quote ]
| Ok, that was a fun week.
|
| We had a binutils bug, a ccache bug, and a compiler bug. And that was just
| the bugs that were outside the kernel, but resulted in a broken build.
|
| But while that was unusual, the rest of the stuff is pretty regular. Lots of
| small fixes all around. The patch is dominated by a couple of new network
| drivers, but apart from those, it's generally pretty small - lots of
| one-liners and "few-liners".
`----

http://lkml.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0907.2/02575.html

CoreBoot Gains Native VGA Text Mode

,----[ Quote ]
| While Luc Verhaegen (one of the original RadeonHD driver developers) has been
| out of work since right after FOSDEM when he was laid off by Novell due to
| cutbacks, he hasn't quit coding. While Luc hasn't been working on the
| RadeonHD driver, or any ATI driver for that matter, one of the projects that
| he has gotten involved with is CoreBoot, the project formerly known as
| LinuxBIOS.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzQwMQ

NVIDIA 190.16 Driver Brings OpenGL 3.2 To Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Yesterday NVIDIA released their first 190.xx Linux beta driver for their
| GeForce and Quadro graphics cards. The NVIDIA 190.16 Beta driver brought a
| number of VDPAU fixes, PowerMizer control features, a number of new official
| and unofficial OpenGL extensions receiving GLX protocol support, and there
| were a number of other fixes and enhancements too. However, now that we have
| had a chance to analyze this driver, there is more in store than what the
| change-log shares regarding this driver. There is in fact support for the
| unreleased OpenGL 3.2 specification.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=nvidia_190_opengl32&num=1

Recent:

Linux 2.6.31-rc3

,----[ Quote ]
| As I mentioned last time, I really wish things would calm down. And to
| _some_ degree they have. In other areas? Not so much.
|
| That said, the single biggest patch here is actually a revert - a removal
| of the Langwell USB OTG driver that wasn't ready and needed infrastructure
| that isn't going to happen in 2.6.31.
`----

http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/7/13/380

Linux 2.6.31-rc2

,----[ Quote ]
| It's out there. Larger than I'd like, but the bulk of the changes are due  to
| some late arch updates (MIPS, and powerpc documentation).
`----

http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/7/4/76

Kernel Log - Coming in 2.6.31 - Part 1: New Wi-Fi drivers and other
network-related changes

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux 2.6.31 will be IEEE 802.15.4 capable and will include a new Wi-Fi
| driver for Intel chips. Developers have also added support for recent Ralink
| Wi-Fi components and revamped the Rfkill framework. The Wi-fi stack and
| drivers are now better able to use newer power saving technologies.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/Kernel-Log-Coming-in-2-6-31-Part-1-New-Wi-Fi-drivers-and-other-network-related-changes--/news/113670
http://tinyurl.com/ll8fwg

Main development phase of Linux 2.6.31 completed

,----[ Quote ]
| Just over two weeks after the release of Linux 2.6.30, Linus Torvalds has
| released 2.6.31-rc1, the first release candidate of Linux 2.6.31. As
| usual, "rc1" completes the merge window during which the kernel hackers
| incorporate the majority of new features into the respective new version's
| main development branch. In the eight to eleven weeks that follow, the
| programmers tend to integrate only smaller changes to fix bugs in the newly
| merged code without causing any further problems. If the kernel hackers stick
| to their usual pace despite the summer and holiday season in the northern
| hemisphere, Linux 2.6.31 will probably be released in late August or early
| September.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/141155

Linux 2.6.31-rc1

,----[ Quote ]
| We've had the regular two-week (and one day) merge window, and -rc1 is  out,
| and the merge window is closed.
`----

http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/6/24/595

Kernel Log: Main development phase of Linux 2.6.31 completed

,----[ Quote ]
| Just over two weeks after the release of Linux 2.6.30, Linus Torvalds has
| released 2.6.31-rc1, the first release candidate of Linux 2.6.31. As
| usual, "rc1" completes the merge window during which the kernel hackers
| incorporate the majority of new features into the respective new version's
| main development branch. In the eight to eleven weeks that follow, the
| programmers tend to integrate only smaller changes to fix bugs in the newly
| merged code without causing any further problems. If the kernel hackers stick
| to their usual pace despite the summer and holiday season in the northern
| hemisphere, Linux 2.6.31 will probably be released in late August or early
| September.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/Kernel-Log-Main-development-phase-of-Linux-2-6-31-completed--/news/113614

TTM, Radeon KMS Support Goes Into Linux 2.6.31

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzMzMA