[News] Microsoft Puts the “Cancer” Insider Linux, to Promote Windows

“Donating” Code

,----[ Quote ]
| So, if my reasoning is correct, and I am very happy to be corrected, this is
| what seems to be the order of events:
|
| 1. MS want Linux to run on its Hyper-V platform
|
| 2. They develop and release drivers that use some GPL code and link to static
| GPL binaries. I don’t know where that original GPL code came from but it sure
| would be interesting to find out.
|
| 3. These drivers are in breach of the GPL and a third party notices
|
| 4. MS are forced, nicely, to comply with the GPL, just like every other
| organisation whose GPL breaches have been seriously challenged.
|
| So, whilst this is all good and marvallous, especially if you want to run
| Linux on Windows, keep this other factlet in mind. Microsoft has shaken money
| out of at least 500 organisations including Linux distributers, claiming IP
| rights over code they have not written because of patents they refuse to
| identify in public.
|
| This is an interesting story, but not in the way it is being told.  Celebrate
| because we can chalk it up as a success…to the GPL.
`----

http://passthesource.org.nz/2009/07/22/donating-code/

"Linux is a cancer that attaches itself in an intellectual property sense to
everything it touches."

                                --Steve Ballmer, Microsoft CEO

Microsoft contributes to Linux kernel: a CAOS Theory Q&A

,----[ Quote ]
| Absent the company giving up on software patents altogether, we believe that
| in order to convince those FOSS advocates that it is serious about
| co-existence, Microsoft needs to find a way to publicly communicate details
| about those 200+ patents in such a way that is not seen as a threat and would
| enable open source developers to license, work around, or challenge them. We
| also believe that the company is aware of this, although finding a solution
| to the problem will not be easy. But then neither was contributing code to
| Linux under the GPLv2.
`----

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2009/07/20/microsoft-contributes-to-linux-kernel-a-caos-theory-qa/

Linux community pushed Microsoft to hand over its code

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft was actually pushed by the Linux driver project team to make this
| week’s historic code submission to the Linux kernel.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolbox/open-source/kernel-systems/news/index.cfm?newsid=15842

Microsoft code cannot taint Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Not for nothing do many people in the FOSS community regard any moves by
| Microsoft in their direction as suspicious. But in this case, there is one
| leveller - the General Public License.
|
| This is the same license that has been described as viral by the friendly
| folk at Redmond. This is one of the reasons why Steve Ballmer has likened
| Linux to a cancer.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/26408/1090/

Related:

Now Hiring - Astroturfer, apply at Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://penguinpetes.com/b2evo/index.php?title=now_hiring_astroturfer_apply_at_microsof&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1