[News] Carl Malamud and Douglas Rushkoff Preach in Favour of Openness, Freedom

Free the Patents and Laws, Activist Tells Feds

,----[ Quote ]
| What’s worse than being a government agency targeted by a gadfly who wants
| data to be free and is willing to plead, sue, reverse-engineer, grandstand
| and shame his way into freeing government data?
|
| Well, try being a government agency on the receiving end of that in an
| administration that has pledged allegiance to transparency and openness.
|
| And that’s exactly where nation’s pre-eminent open-government data fighter
| Carl Malamud has got the Patent and Trademark Office and the National
| Archives and Records Administration, which controls — among other things —
| the Federal Register System.
`----

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2009/07/free-the-patents-and-laws-activist-tells-feds/

Douglas Rushkoff's Open Source Economy: A ReadWriteWeb Interview

,----[ Quote ]
| Douglas Rushkoff — author, documentarian, and teacher — is a man on a
| mission. As a step towards getting "people to see the software-like code
| lying underneath how they interact," his latest book, Life, Inc., explores
| the nature of money, our economic system, and how a corporate mindset has
| shaped who we are as people in modern society.
`----

http://www.readwriteweb.com/enterprise/2009/07/douglas-rushkoffs-open-source-economy.php

The Crucible Effect and the Scarcity of Collective Attention

http://www.ribbonfarm.com/2009/07/21/the-crucible-effect-and-the-scarcity-of-collective-attention/

Recent:

Open Education and Open Science in Poland

,----[ Quote ]
| As a result of the project, the Coalition for Open Education hopes to
| increase its number of member institutions, as well as enable the growth of
| open educational projects in Poland.”

European Commission Allocates 25 Million Euros for Digital Libraries

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://digital-scholarship.org/digitalkoans/2009/02/19/european-commission-allocates-25-million-euros-for-digital-libraries/