[News] Economy Favours Free Software, Emmys Use Free Software

Career advice: Preparing for life after the recession

,----[ Quote ]
| One other area to consider: open-source solutions. Having a strong knowledge
| of open-source alternatives to commercial products can give you an edge over
| competitors that are only using purchased package solutions. Giving your
| customers options, especially a lower-cost option, should help you get work
| from companies that can't afford a purchased package solution. Open-source
| solutions are going to be more and more viable in the future.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9135470/Career_advice_Preparing_for_life_after_the_recession

Emmys using Drupal

,----[ Quote ]
| Glamour, glitter, and champagne all around because Drupal has gone Hollywood.
| The Emmys website has just switched to Drupal in preparation for the
| announcement of nominees tomorrow, and the subsequent annual Emmy award
| ceremony later this year. The Emmys are annual awards to outstanding
| television programs and performers.
`----

http://buytaert.net/emmys-using-drupal

Recent:

Red Hat Beats as Frugal Firms Embrace Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| "With overall IT spending down on a year-over-year basis, our largest
| customers continue to renew and spend more with Red Hat," said Jim
| Whitehurst, the Red Hat CEO, during a conference call late Wednesday.
`----

http://www.thestreet.com/story/10527424/1/red-hat-beats-as-frugal-firms-embrace-linux.html?cm_ven=GOOGLEFI

Red Hat profit rises, bucks tech industry trend

,----[ Quote ]
| Software company Red Hat Inc (RHT.N) reported a modest jump in quarterly
| profit, bucking an industry trend of declining earnings, thanks to a reliable
| business model through which it books sales over multiple years.
|
| [...]
|

| The company, whose rivals include Novell Inc (NOVL.O) and Microsoft Corp
| (MSFT.O), sells upgrades, help-desk support and bug fixes for Linux software.
| It has weathered the recession better than computer makers and many software
| companies because Red Hat customers buy its service in subscriptions over the
| course of several years, giving it a predictable revenue stream.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews/idINN2421958220090624?rpc=44

Ballmer Goes Nuts Again, Gets Confused As to What Type of Venue He's At

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://gizmodo.com/5314471/ballmer-goes-nuts-again-gets-confused-as-to-what-type-of-venue-hes-at