Re: [News] Instant-On in Chrome a Win

In article <h41mgi$drf$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
 Hadron <hadronquark@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > Is Instant-On Chrome OS's Killer App?
> >
> > ,----[ Quote ]
> > | Much has been made of Chrome OS as a Windows killer, but most
> > instant-on
>
> Only by idiots.
>
> They have already stated it wont run the majority of existing Gnu/GPL
> SW.
>
> Desktops don't care about instant on anyway.

Yeah, I'm pretty baffled by the whole instant-on thing. OK, so
fully-fledged operating systems take a while to boot. Great. You
basically never have to shut down modern computers, though. Just sleep
them; they used next to no power, and wake up in a few seconds.

OK, great, so with one of these secondary instant-on operating system
schemes you can also use your laptop as the world's largest MP3 player
or something without actually taking it out of hibernate mode. Is this
actually supposed to be useful for something?

--
"The game of professional investment is intolerably boring and over-exacting to
anyone who is entirely exempt from the gambling instinct; whilst he who has it