[News] [Rival] Microsoft's Online Office Suite an Exercise in Self Destruction, Cisco Enters Too

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft's Online Office Suite an Exercise in Self Destruction, Cisco Enters Too
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 12:50:43 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Microsoft Cannibalizes Itself in Fight for Revenue

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft (MSFT) Office is a cash cow that provides $15+ billion in revenue
| to the company. Thus far it‘s been more immune to open source competition
| than, say, Microsoft server and mobile phone operating systems, which compete
| with Linux and Android (and LiMo and Symbian) respectively.
`----

http://seekingalpha.com/article/148895-microsoft-cannibalizes-itself-in-fight-for-revenue?source=yahoo

The Hidden Cost of Microsoft's 'Free' Online Office Suite

,----[ Quote ]
| Likewise with Office 2010 online, you can get some of it for free, but you
| still have to pay a premium if you actually want to make it useful. Free
| online Office 2010 is like getting four free tires without the car, and
| having to pay full price for the car (including the cost of the tires).
`----

http://industry.bnet.com/technology/10002712/the-hidden-cost-of-microsofts-free-online-office-suite/

Cisco Considers Taking on Microsoft's Office Suite

,----[ Quote ]
| Cisco Senior Vice President Doug Dennerline said on Tuesday his company may
| develop a service that would allow business users to create documents they
| could draft and share through its WebEx meeting and collaboration service.
`----

http://www.cnbc.com/id/31670587/site/14081545?__source=yahoo|headline|quote
text|&par=yahoo

Recent:

OpenOffice.org in Education: Adoption is Gaining Momentum

,----[ Quote ]
| In the coming weeks and months, I hope to share with you a number of these
| success stories.  I hope these stories, in part, will let everyone in
| academia know that they are not alone when it comes to their commitment and
| desire to utilize OpenOffice.org to better the lives of their students
| through education.  I hope it inspires other educators to share their untold
| stories, as well as open source project volunteers to keep up the good work
| they often thanklessly perform each and every day.
`----

http://ooomarketing.blogspot.com/2009/05/openofficeorg-in-education-adoption-is.html

Fresh Wind at Work: OpenOffice 3.1

,----[ Quote ]