[News] Governments Leaning to Free Software

Bureaucrats, Technocrats and Policy Cats: How the Government is turning to Open
Source, and Why.

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source shares critical values with government and public education that
| make them function in the ideal; meritocracy of ideas, transparency,
| collaboration. But where is the sweet spot in the confluence of these social,
| technical, and public policy ideals? What is the opportunity for the citizen
| developer to get involved? And would it surprise you to know that change has
| been quietly at work while you were still standing in line for your driver’s
| license?
`----

http://en.oreilly.com/oscon2009/public/schedule/detail/8384

Recent:

Open Government and Open Source at the Department of Defense - Part 1

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source can be defined as a development method for software that
| harnesses the power of distributed peer review and transparency of process,
| and the promise of open source is better quality, higher reliability, more
| flexibility, lower cost, and an end to predatory vendor lock-in (from The
| Open Source Initiative).  The US Government, including DoD, is taking a new
| look at open source as a way to achieve cost savings, and improvement in
| quality.  Scott McNealy, in a BBC interview in January of this year, said
| that he had been asked, by the new administration, to write a paper on open
| source.  OSI President, Micheal Tiemann, also claimed that the US government
| could save around $400bn dollars through use of open source.
`----

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-10080-DC-EGovernment-Examiner~y2009m6d26-OPEN-GOVERNMENT-AND-OPEN-SOURCE-AT-DOD

Is the world now an open source society?

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=4436