Re: FSF Says "No" to Mono and Microsoft 'Community' 'Promise'

Erik Funkenbusch <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 14:29:25 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> It's true that all software patents are a threat to developers—but that doesn't
>> mean that all software patents are equally threatening.
>
> No, since any software patent owner that has granted open source developers
> a license to use their software is not a threat.  However, all other
> patentas are equally threatening because you don't know if the author will
> sue you or not.  This even extends to Microsoft.  Microsoft has yet to sue
> *ANYONE* (including TomTOm) offensively.  The TomTom suit was defensive
> because TomTom was itself threatening to sue MS over software patents
> first.

How Orwellian of you.

TomTom notifies Microsoft of a patent infringement. There are two
possible answers:

1. Microsoft enters into negotiations with TomTom.

2. Microsoft sues.

Which one of these reactions is defensive, and which one is offensive in
common English usage (as opposed to Erik-speak)?

The question is rhetorical, BTW.

Mart

--- AJS, quoting an uncertain source.