[News] Copyright Madness Again: Copyrighted Numbers

Court Says You Can Copyright Numerical Ratings

,----[ Quote ]
| The US, thankfully, still hasn't allowed copyright on databases. There's been
| a push over the years to allow such a database right, but this is problematic
| for a variety of reasons -- mainly that it's effectively a way to allow the
| copyrighting of facts, so long as you put a few of them together. But a
| bigger issue is that there's empirical evidence that the ability to copyright
| a database doesn't create more databases or actually help businesses. It does
| the opposite. It limits business -- exactly the opposite of copyright's
| stated purpose. If we actually had an empirically driven copyright system,
| there wouldn't be database rights, because the evidence that they do more
| harm than good is quite clear. Anyone actually pushing for a database right
| is either ignorant of the evidence or is hoping to profit off such a right by
| limiting the market.

WTO to Allow Copyright Infringement?

,----[ Quote ]
| As reported in the LA Times' technology blog, the launch of Antigua-based
| media download site Zookz has raised the ire of the US trade commission as
| well as the RIAA and MPAA. However, according to the company, Zookz is
| permitted by the World Trade Organization under a loophole copyright
| sanction. You read that correctly. The US trade commission and the RIAA /
| MPAA is challenging Zookz the pirate with the WTO in its corner. Imagine the
| cage match.
`----

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/gad-zookz_wto_to_allow_copyright_infringement.php

FBI charges satellite descramblers under DMCA

,----[ Quote ]
| The people behind the Viewsat satellite receiver have been arrested and
| charged with conspiring to violate the Digital Millennium Copyright Act
| thanks to their not-so-undercover efforts to crack DISH Network's latest
| encryption scheme.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2009/07/fbi-charges-satellite-descramblers-with-conspiracy.ars

Recent:

The Psychology Of Externalities: Only I Can Benefit

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090713/0118575524.shtml